mono breakage issues

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
shimanoangler12
Angler
Angler

mono breakage issues

Post by shimanoangler12 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:48 pm

So yesterday while I was fishing, using Sufix Siege in 14 lb test, I made a cast only to have it suddenly just snap upon casting. It only did this once but the sudden offloading of the line caused a MAJOR backlash as it stopped pulling line out suddenly yet the spool was still spinning. I have this happen two times in the past with the same line. What could be causing this and how do i prevent it?

quickF4i
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: mono breakage issues

Post by quickF4i » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:59 pm

based on the limited info you provided would be hard to diagnose... a bad spool of line, bad knot, bad cast..?

it could even be so simple as a small abrasion/cut on the line you did not notice..

can you provide more details like knot used? fishing in cover? age of the line, rod used? lure/weight used?

a lot of factors here to consider and pinpoint with just 3 random breakoffs.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:58 am

shimanoangler12 wrote:So yesterday while I was fishing, using Sufix Siege in 14 lb test, I made a cast only to have it suddenly just snap upon casting. It only did this once but the sudden offloading of the line caused a MAJOR backlash as it stopped pulling line out suddenly yet the spool was still spinning. I have this happen two times in the past with the same line. What could be causing this and how do i prevent it?

- This is something that plagues baitcasters, and very few people know why.

Unfortunately, baitcasters backlash. When they do, it creates kinks in your line when you try to unravel the birdnest. These kinks in fluor/mono can severely weaken the line. This is why your lure sometimes sails off into the distance on a following cast.

Some ways to combat this issue:

Try not get birdsnests, use spinning tackle, Try not to kink the line when you are unraveling a birdnest (perhaps use a fatter tool?), change your line after a birdnest, use another spool or rod with fresh line, use thicker line (stronger), and change your line often. You might try braid also, I would guess that braid does not get kinks.

Another Way is to use a mono which has very good knot strength. One reason knots fail is from sharp bends and kinks in knots. Monos with better knot strength simply handle kinks better, so they will also handle backlashes better. Some lines with top knot strength are Stren Super Knot, BPS Tight line, Sufix Superior, IGFA rated lines, Sufix Tritanium, Sufix Key LIme, and Berkley Trilene XT. There are others, but since you use Sufix, I listed several of those. The Siege has tremendous abrasion resistance, perhaps the highest I have ever seen, but the knot strength is one of the worst.

If I were fishing tournaments today, with what I know, I think I would set the cast controls for less chance of overruns, even if it would sacrafice distance. I would aslo have extra spools and rods with fresh line, and change the spool or rod out if I got an overrun on one of them.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:34 pm

Did this sudden snap occur at the beginning, middle or end of your cast and where did the line break? I it occured during the cast and snapped at the reel than more than likely there was allready a small backlash or loop in the line that caused a sudden halt to the spool rotation and then snapola. :doh:

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:14 pm

I've had 2 instances this year with broken line. First I lost a brand new 1/2 oz. jig on a cast using 30 braid on a spinning outfit. If I remember correctly, the line wrapped around the rod tip. Jig gone. Yet I have straightened out jig hooks with a steady pull with this line.

Second time I had an overrun on a baitcast reel with 8 lb. P-Line. I was pulling the loose line out when the line separated without so much as a hiccup. I assume it had kinked on an earlier overrun, but no idea why it just fell apart. You would think it should have required a bit of a tug, but no. No tension on the line at all.