Cajun Fluorocarbon

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
wsunweed
Angler
Angler

Cajun Fluorocarbon

Post by wsunweed » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:49 pm

Anyone use Cajun Fluorocarbon? I bought three spools of it (2ea.) 7# and (1ea.) 12#. for cheap on Ebay. This stuff cast like an absolute dream and I have had no issues with the 12 pound on my baitcast setups. I have been using the 7# test as braid leaders and I have serious issues with it breaking very easily. Anyone else have this problem? I am hoping that maybe I have a very old spool of it? Its so bad that I can barely even fish drop shot with it because when I pinch the DS sinker on it just cuts the line. The only reason I am posting because the line is amazing in terms of casting and line management and want to continue using this product. Has anyone else had issues with breakage?

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Cajun Fluorocarbon

Post by karirick » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:49 pm

This is scary news as I have stocked up on 6 spools of the 4 sizes I use most as it is going for $4.48 a spool at Cabela's here. Hopefully more TT members will chime in with good news. I have only fished the 7# once and it was great.

Rick

wsunweed
Angler
Angler

Post by wsunweed » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:10 pm

karirick wrote:This is scary news as I have stocked up on 6 spools of the 4 sizes I use most as it is going for $4.48 a spool at Cabela's here. Hopefully more TT members will chime in with good news. I have only fished the 7# once and it was great.

Rick
The 12# like I said does not seem to have an issue but I have two spools of 7# and both are breaking very easy. (I use the 7# as leader mostly for braid mainlines).

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:25 pm

wsunweed wrote:
karirick wrote:This is scary news as I have stocked up on 6 spools of the 4 sizes I use most as it is going for $4.48 a spool at Cabela's here. Hopefully more TT members will chime in with good news. I have only fished the 7# once and it was great.

Rick
The 12# like I said does not seem to have an issue but I have two spools of 7# and both are breaking very easy. (I use the 7# as leader mostly for braid mainlines).
What knot are you using, braid to fluoro?

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:55 pm

I use the 7lb for drop shotting & don't think I've ever had a fish break me off. It handles nicely on my Premier 30 & casts pretty well, although not mind blowing. It has a very nice feel to it, as I can feel every little nibble from those gills when they go after my Roboworm. I had some 12lb I used on casting gear & it worked well & stood up to some pretty good fights. I didn't get to use it too much though, as I ran into a back-snagging funk & blew it up(twice, using up almost all my 200 yards) beyond salvation without getting a whole lot of use out of it.

I liked what I have experienced with the line & hope the Cabela's sale lasts long enough for me to put in an order & stock up on it.

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:44 pm

I've tried 10,12 and 15 and have liked all three. I use a double San Diego Jam knot with it and have had no problems.

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:57 pm

Thanks wsunweed. I just ordered 10 more spools and had them shipped to my Cabela's just up the road for under $60. Under $60 for 2000 yards of good fluoro is hard to beat.

wsunweed
Angler
Angler

Post by wsunweed » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:02 am

steve1206 wrote:
wsunweed wrote:

Rick
What knot are you using, braid to fluoro?
I am using a double uni knot to cinch the braid to the fluoro, pretty standard. I am not having issues at my knots. I am having issues with it cutting easily from the pinch of my drop shot sinker and I am having issues with it snapping it while pulling snags. I have started using 6lbs sunline FC for my leaders and am no longer having these issues. I fished all Saturday and Sunday and only broke off once each day with the sunline.