Toray Superhard

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Toray Superhard

Post by steve1206 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:20 pm

I took this line out for the first time ever last week after buying some 16 & 20 on this board. I threw the 20lb. on a football jig all week. It performed very nicely. I am not one to talk in great superlatives when it comes to line (usually) but I hung the jig in a brush pile, and OH MY GOD!!...It was strong to the point that I thought I was going to have to cut it...about came out of my shoes trying to break it...that's a good first impression...I assume Sunline Shooter is nearly identical..?? Love to hear some more Toray feedback from any long-time users.

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Toray Superhard

Post by SPAZ » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:25 am

I'm not a long time user of the line, going on exactly one year of using it but it's excellent line. The two flouro lines I've been using as of late have been Tatsu and Superhard. Both are very abrasion resistant.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:07 pm

Toray and sunline are top notch. That's all I use from now on. I feel no lead to look elsewhere.

Toray is a better buy over shooter however sniper is awesome for cranks and jerkbaits.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:49 pm

I found some 10lb sunline sniper for $13 in a clearance bin a couple months ago. It is better than 10lb Abrazx in every way. Sniper is stiffer and more abrasion resistant than any FC I've tried, I can only imagine Toray superhard being even better in those categories.

I'm only using Toray FC from here on out. Might try out the Blackwater shock leader next year for tying on to braid.
Last edited by Nytron on Fri May 18, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:55 pm

I have been using Toray Superhard Upgrade for 3 seasons and love it for jigs and plastics. Great abrasion resistance, low stretch for flouro, and the most sensative line I have used. No problems with break offs or bad knots. It's only downfall in my opinion is its handling due to the fact that it is so stiff. It tends to get a little loose on the spool. This is nothing a long cast from time to time won't fix.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:07 pm

njbasscat wrote:I have been using Toray Superhard Upgrade for 3 seasons and love it for jigs and plastics. Great abrasion resistance, low stretch for flouro, and the most sensative line I have used. No problems with break offs or bad knots. It's only downfall in my opinion is its handling due to the fact that it is so stiff. It tends to get a little loose on the spool. This is nothing a long cast from time to time won't fix.
Exactly my thoughts after using Toray Superhard this past season. Just an excellent line for jigs.

gpoler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gpoler » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:09 am

a Good fluorocarbon, ( I used the 16lbs) but too stiff !
I think the Hi-Class is better but they only made 80mt spool.
CANNONDALE USER!!!!!!!!!!!

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:06 am

gpoler wrote:a Good fluorocarbon, ( I used the 16lbs) but too stiff !
I think the Hi-Class is better but they only made 80mt spool.
The stiffness hasn't bothered me yet, with a jig. With all the flouro I have used over the years, I have settled on the fact that your preference has to be a give and take. If you want abrasion resistance, low stretch and sensitivity you get stiff line. More supple flouro gets you less of the abrasion resistance and sensitivity (although senstivity is not horribly noticeable), and more stretch...so...bottom techniques vs. moving baits/spinning tackle...that's how I see it anyway...

gpoler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gpoler » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:00 pm

Fluoro is also a good choice for cranking , but the stiffness in this way was a trouble, also with low abrasion resistance.
I found that super hard is not so good as others, like Hi-Class ( toray) and FC sniper( sunline). using a jig maybe different, but it depends on how weighet is jig , if you are using light jig ( under 3/8) the stiffness maybe a little boring ( not when super hard is new , but after 2 or 3 days of using)
CANNONDALE USER!!!!!!!!!!!