Braid for UL and ML?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Braid for UL and ML?

Post by Katron » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:04 pm

I am planning on building myself two finesse baitcasting rods this winter in ratings of UL and ML. Both will have only one reel between them, an upgraded pixy, as I cannot afford to get two with all the other rods/reels I am getting over the winter ;). Therefore naturally I do not want to purchase an extra spool to switch lines between rods and consequently was wondering if there was a line that would work well between them. The UL rod will be mostly used for small jerkbaits in the 1/8oz class and the ML rod will be used for 1/16-3/16oz texas rigs and spin jigs. I am highly considering the 15lb Dawia Samurai braid as the dia seems just right. Looking forward to your input.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Braid for UL and ML?

Post by VRG » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:20 am

I have not used Samurai (I use PowerPro) but diameter is similar and I have found 15/4 to be the "right" size for light, ML and UL bait casting (Core 50 in my case). Covers all those nicely.

Truite
Angler
Angler

Post by Truite » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:30 am

I hated the 15lb samurai. I had some breakage problems on casts and it set me off. I have heard some other people complain about this too. I heard the higher strength samurai are much better. I bought a 10 lb sufix 832 now, but have not had the chance to use it yet.
Truite

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:08 pm

I change between 6LB Tatsu Fluoro and 15LB Samurai on my pixzilla...havent had any problems yet.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:48 pm

I don't use braid that small. I'll suggest two lines: #7 Sunline Sniper FC and #6 Sunline Biwako Special.

The Biwako is gooooood stuff. The package says it is designed for spinning gear, but I use it on a Pixzilla. One package fits perfectly on the spool. :big grin:

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:06 pm

Great to know about the sunline, considering I am going to be using a pixy. I am using 6lb vanish on my ML spinning rod and like it quite a bit, so a flouro of a higher quality at 6lb might be the ticket.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:54 am

I've been using 10# sufix 832 on my pixy for quite a while and love it. A VERY pleasureable line to fish with is 8# sunline supernatural. Also will be trying 15# super 8 slick soon hopefully..
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org