Swivel Knots

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Swivel Knots

Post by joeim8 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:26 am

Hello all,

I have recently started using a swivel when Dshotting to help prevent line twists.

There are 3 knots that have to be tied obviously and I use the palomar knot with the hook ....what knots should I use with the swivel?

Is it possible to use palomar's for all 3 and if so should I tie in a specific order?

Also how many inches or feet should I tie the swivel above the hook?

Thanks all.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Swivel Knots

Post by cst » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:35 am

Yes, it's possible to tie the three palomar knots. First tie the leader to the swivel, then tie the mainline to the swivel, then the leader to the hook.

Or try a different knot like a double uni.

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HellaBass » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:28 am

or go braid to Fluoro, I feel it eliminates any need for swivels
http://RichLindgren.com

VRG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by VRG » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:25 am

As someone mentioned, if you use braid, your line twist issues are over for good. Use a fluro leader if you're concerned about line visibility.

If you want to continue to use mono or fluro mainline and use a swivel to reduce line twist, do this:
1) Get high-quality swivels; and
2) Use knots that send to stabilize the swivel rings. For the mainline connection to the swivel, there are fairly complicated knots (e.g., the "offshore swivel knot") that really keep the swivel ring from rotating. You can simplify by trying the Trilene knot, which puts two loops over the ring, just not as stabilizing as a true swivel knot. Also, for the leader end, you could use an interlocking loop knot: tie a perfection loop in the leader, put the loop over one of the swivel rings, and thread the end of the leader through the swivel ring.

Like I said, best to just use braid.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:40 am

Another vote for braid. Use thin braid like 10lb sufix or 15lb pp and tie an alberto knot (aka modified albright knot) to a fluoro leader.

Capt Ray
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Capt Ray » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:22 pm

Not to high jack the thread but I have had a buch of break offs when using braid with a light (6 - 8lb) floro leader. I prefer to use the smallest high quality swivel I can find.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:22 am

Capt Ray wrote:Not to high jack the thread but I have had a buch of break offs when using braid with a light (6 - 8lb) floro leader. I prefer to use the smallest high quality swivel I can find.
I've experienced the same when joining with uni to uni. Switching to the Alberto's Knot has made a big difference for me.

Getting back OT: I've been using the San Diego Jam knot for pretty much all my fluoro & mono connections where a loop knot isn't desirable. Although it might seem complicated, actually tying it is pretty easy. I'd give it a try especially when using light line where it's cushioning effect would be beneficial.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:39 am

civicrr wrote:
Capt Ray wrote:Not to high jack the thread but I have had a buch of break offs when using braid with a light (6 - 8lb) floro leader. I prefer to use the smallest high quality swivel I can find.
I've experienced the same when joining with uni to uni. Switching to the Alberto's Knot has made a big difference for me.

Getting back OT: I've been using the San Diego Jam knot for pretty much all my fluoro & mono connections where a loop knot isn't desirable. Although it might seem complicated, actually tying it is pretty easy. I'd give it a try especially when using light line where it's cushioning effect would be beneficial.
I used to use the San Diego Jam Knot religiously but have grown tired of it. It doesn't always cinch up well and, sometimes, a perfectly good looking knot will just snap. I switched to a Palomar Knot and had considerably less issues. After watching a few Aaron Martins videos on youtube and reading some posts on here, I'm trying the Double Uni Knot now and it seems to hold up well too but is incredibly hard to tie.

I still use the San Diego Jam Knot if I'm fishing 20lb or heavier if I'm in a hurry or if I'm running out of leader and need to conserve line (Palomar and Double Uni leave a bunch of tag end).

HellaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HellaBass » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:16 pm

I have had great success with Seaguar knot, very easy, very strong, very small
http://RichLindgren.com