Power Pro Super 8 Slick

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Power Pro Super 8 Slick

Post by l2yan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:26 pm

Has anyone got their hands on this stuff yet? Wondering how it compares to other 8's like Samarai and 832. I'm excited about the new bright blue color!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

deadlift
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Power Pro Super 8 Slick

Post by deadlift » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:56 am

12yan,
Just spooled a Fuego spinner with it last night, plus a FC leader. I haven't had a chance to fish it yet, but there are some interesting characteristics to it.

First off, it's definitely "slick". I haven't spooled any Samurai yet (so I can't compare it to that), but have used a decent amount of 832 and plenty of PP, Spiderwire, etc. It feels significantly smoother, maybe a bit more limp/soft than most. The thing that I found most notable was general smoothness of the line. It certainly does not "feel" the same as most braids as the weave is barely noticeable; however, that may change quickly once the coating wears off (if it does). Also, me thinks that the "slickness" of the line may lend itself to slipping knots when connecting to leaders. I could be completely wrong, but it was smooth enough for me to add a few wraps to my uni knot/leader line. Another point of interest is that the line I picked up was a light brown color, not the forest green that I'm used to seeing with PP. It appears to be neutral enough in color that it shouldn't stand out much in water that has at least a light stain .. But again, I've yet to get it wet.

Overall:
Looks and feels bitchin'! Very smooth and slick ... So much so that (for now) I'm adding a few wraps to leader knots. Looking forward to trying some on my casting reels.

Will
Amistad Tackle

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:18 am

Thanks deadlift! Great initial impression, and sounds very promising. I wish TW carried the blue..
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

mmasturgeon
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mmasturgeon » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:35 pm

I’m also interested on this new braid; planning to spool this on my foggin and punching reel. I really like the two colors.

deadlift
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deadlift » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Hey guys,
Didn't get to fish that much, but the short time that I did use it was really good! Definitely not as kinky as most braids when first spooled, so the suppleness lends to smoother casting and a bit more manageability.

I'm pre-fishing tomorrow and fishing a tournament on Sunday, but with the winds we have coming in, it doesn't appear I'll have much chance to throw it on spinning gear. However, my initial impressions of the line were good enough that I just spooled three casting reels (all Alphas) with it. Two of the reels will be for throwing traps, blades and chatterbaits, so I should have a better idea of how the line holds up. Will keep you posted ...

Spooled up the Samurai braid (55lb) on another reel and it feels really nice as well!

Tight lines,
Will
Amistad Tackle

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:52 pm

Ive used old power pro, samurai and super slick. Havent tried 832, but a friend of mine likes it.

Samurai is still number one
super slick is number two
old power pro number three

Daiwa is still king in my book

....but for the price, I will be switching to super slick in timber brown for muddy river waters. Lakes and inshore gets samurai.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:37 am

Thanks Dan. I have some bright blue super slick on the way!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

mrborohachi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrborohachi » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:09 am

it's flying off the shelves at my local BPS

deadlift
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deadlift » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:57 am

Had a chance to throw the Slick a bit more this weekend, as well as the Samurai. A few more brief thoughts ...

Slick:
Barely threw the spinning rod, but the still feels "slick" and smooth. Very soft and limp, but not as soft as Suffix Performance (after it's been used for while). I am not a fan of the Suffix Performance because it was too soft. Slick still has a decent amount of "body".

On the casting reels, it has also been really smooth. Same good qualities as the spinner. Zero braid rubbing sound during retrieve with rattle baits and chatterbaits. Didn't catch anything huge, but a 5 lber didn't the "screech" from the guides. Kudos!

So far, so good. I'm still not sure if it's a coating thing or the manufacturing process, but it is nice to fish. Using other rods with regular PP and 832 felt almost coarse. Not that I am going to pull those lines off the other reels, but the Slick has been really pleasant to use.

The biggest issue I've had with the Slick is that the brown seems to be fading. I may be scrutinizing it bit more than normal though. Perhaps some other members who are using it may be able to comment on it ...?

If you're a braid user, it's probably worth trying a small spool. So far, it's been performing very well.

On another note, the Samurai was also really nice as well. I didn't use that rod that much, but the little amount that I did use it, it also felt really good. Interested to see how that feels after more use as well.

Tight lines,
Will
Amistad Tackle

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:56 am

Thanks Will, great review!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

deadlift
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deadlift » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:06 am

You bet! All in all, it's worth checking out one of the 150 yd spools. I think they're about $20 at most places. LMK how the line works out for you.

Will
Amistad Tackle

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:49 am

Thanks for the update deadlift.
Sounded good, so I had to try some.
I've got a couple spools of 20lb. 30lb and 50lb in brown on the way.
Been using 832 for some time, and have been happy with it for the most part.
Should make for an interesting comparison..
Hopefully I'll get to test it out this weekend. :D

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:35 am

Received the line yesterday.. Three spools in timber brown.

Really like the color so far.
I soaked the line for a while before spooling it, trying to get it to bleed like most braids do and other than a little waxy coating flaking off, there was no color transfer at all.
It's quite smooth and definitely softer than 832 straight off the spool.

The braid is much looser tho, definitely not 32 weaves per inch like the 832, so I'm sure that's accounts for the difference in feel.

Not sure how a loosely braided line compares to a tighter one concerning sensitivity, but if all goes well I'll get to test it out tomorrow. From what I've seen so far tho, it should compare favorably with similar priced braids.

It's not likely going to replace my favorite Samurai braid or my go-to 832, but feels nice and will be getting a good workout asap. :D

deadlift
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by deadlift » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:03 am

PaBass75,
I thought I noticed the had something different about when I was cutting it, I just couldn't quite put my finger on it. I think you may have found something with the fewer weaves per inch — good observation! As far as the color ... Maybe I was just over scrutinizing it. I hope so. I read somewhere, fairly recently, that green is fairly visible to the fish. Perhaps In-Fisherman? Not sure, but the brown is a nice change.

I think you'll dig it. It feels really nice to fish in terms of its' softness and smoothness. Interested to see what your findings are after a few trips. More time on the water will tell for me as well. Hopefully, I can catch a few this weekend sometime to give some more feedback. The Samurai feels really good too! Please let me pop a few good ones that combo!

Will
Amistad Tackle

Capt Ray
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Capt Ray » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:48 pm

How does it come off the spool on the cast compared to PP? Does the coating hold up when fishing heavy cover?

Thanks,