Palomar Knot?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Palomar Knot?

Post by joeim8 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:51 am

Hey Guys,

Does it matter which side of the hook I begin passing the line threw when tying the palomar?

For example if I double the line should I enter it with the hook point facing toward or away?

Thanks

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Palomar Knot?

Post by Nytron » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:01 am

Yes, obviously if you're drop shotting you need to pass the line through so that the hook sits properly and is not upside down. You pass the line through the front side of the hook like this:

For everything else, especially hooks, do it through the back of the hook because you'll get better hooksets:

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:57 pm

Nytron nailed it.... But for techniques other than Drop-Shotting a Palomar knot is out classed for strength and ease of tying by several other knots....

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:25 pm

Bass Junkie wrote:Nytron nailed it.... But for techniques other than Drop-Shotting a Palomar knot is out classed for strength and ease of tying by several other knots....
Yeah palomar is great for braid, no reason to use anything but. But with fluorocarbon, even with drop shotting, a doubled uni knot is better.

joeim8
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by joeim8 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:36 am

Ok thanks guys.

Does the same info apply for the double unit knot?

I actually started tying the double uni knot this year and it did seem to hold up a bit better.

However the 2 things that I didn't like were the time it took me to tie the knot and the larger profile of the knot (ecspecially when dshotting).

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:37 am

joeim8 wrote:Ok thanks guys.

I actually started tying the double uni knot this year and it did seem to hold up a bit better.

However the 2 things that I didn't like were the time it took me to tie the knot and the larger profile of the knot (ecspecially when dshotting).
A double uni knot is a line to line knot, which is different than a doubled uni knot. A doubled uni knot is just like a regular uni knot except you double the line up like you would with a palomar.

The double uni knot is good for lines of similar diameter. Even with similar diameters, I prefer the alberto knot (a.k.a. modified albright knot) especially when there's braid as one of the lines. That knot is just bombproof.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:20 pm

Nytron wrote:A double uni knot is a line to line knot, which is different than a doubled uni knot. A doubled uni knot is just like a regular uni knot except you double the line up like you would with a palomar.
Very similar to the Trilene knot...but I like the Trilene a bit better

http://www.animatedknots.com/trilene/index.php

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Nytron wrote:
joeim8 wrote:Ok thanks guys.

A double uni knot is a line to line knot, which is different than a doubled uni knot. A doubled uni knot is just like a regular uni knot except you double the line up like you would with a palomar.

The double uni knot is good for lines of similar diameter. Even with similar diameters, I prefer the alberto knot (a.k.a. modified albright knot) especially when there's braid as one of the lines. That knot is just bombproof.
You are right but I think most here would refer to the line-to-line Uni as a "Uni-to-Uni." Splitting hairs but I assumed he was talking "doubled" Uni til you said something. Kind of funny.

And for the above mentioned palomar with braid comment....try the Double Palomar with 2 overhand knots in the tying process instead of 1. Although the Palomar slips very litle, it does happen. The double palomar takes the slippage down even more to near-zero.

Nytron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Nytron » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:10 pm

I like to burn the tag ends with a lighter, it creates a ball so that the line will catch if it ever slips. It is also a must for braid so that the tag end doesn't unravel. Gotta be careful not to burn your mainline or knot, just wet it with saliva.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:23 pm

Nytron wrote:I like to burn the tag ends with a lighter, it creates a ball so that the line will catch if it ever slips. It is also a must for braid so that the tag end doesn't unravel. Gotta be careful not to burn your mainline or knot, just wet it with saliva.
I do that as well when convenient, as I often don't carry a lighter.....but it works great.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:45 pm

I think the strength of a palomar with fluoro depends a lot on the line being used. Some lines I never have problems with a palomar but with some of the Sunline lines I've tried recently have had a couple slip (at the worst possible moment of course). Will have to give the trilene knot a try and see if I have any less issues :whistle:

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:04 pm

I've never had an issue with Sunline and a palomar knot...which line are you using?