Braid, braid with floro leader, or floro

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Braid, braid with floro leader, or floro

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:18 am

I've had the same issue with braid on walk the dog type lures. That's why I use a nylon mono for those. Super Natural is great in that application. I also use it for jerkbaits.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:44 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:
nycgrip wrote:would putting 7' of braid as a leader on floro for topwater be effective?
I am kinda confused as to what you are trying to ask. Braid is never used as a leader...at least not in my book nor anyone I know of. However, Florocarbon is used as leader material. Braid because it does not have the friction to hold onto the reel, your braid line you tied into your spool, will spin inside your spool - that in itself is pointless. Trust me, I did this back in the mid 90's with fire line - LOL. hardway to learn and catch fish. There are other ways of using braid without a leader but that requires a spool with holes or some type of hole/notch to tie your line on, in the spool itself. The only spool with notches to tie your line on, that I have found, are spinning reels. I have yet to see one on baitcaster. I guess if you did use braid as a leadercore type of line by tieing it and looping through holes in your casting spool, it would be no issue.

So to answer your question, IMO, I would have to say no. Mono or Floro with no leader is the way to go or Mono/Floro for leadcore for braid is the way to go.
To avoid braid from spinning on a spool, wrap it 6-10 times around the spool and then use a 6 turn uni knot to lock it. Snip the tag end as close as possible. Been doing this since the mid 90's and no more issues. Try it, it works perfectly. No need for mono backing or tape or holes.

aclark609
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aclark609 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:37 pm

I like to use an eight foot fluoro leader with a braided mainline for jig fishing and anything else of that nature (bottom fishing). The only exception to that is jerkbait fishing in the summer. The braided mainline wiht a fluoro leader helps wear me out less. Any other time it's straight fluoro for jerkbaits. Straight retrieve topwaters, frogs, and heavy flipping get straight braid. Walking topwaters with trebles get a mono leader with a braided mainline. Crankbaits and any other horizontal, fast moving, reaction baits get straight fluoro. However, if I need to get a deep diver even deeper, I'll opt for a 15 pound braided mainline with a fluoro leader.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:47 am

I tend to use FC for most things. Anything on a spinning rod gets braid/FC leader. (might give FC another try since I'm using better spinning reels now).

Shallow cranks and topwaters are about all that I use mono for anymore.

Frogging and heavy cover pitching get braid.

Pretty much everything else is thrown on straight FC with one exception. I use 20lb braid with a FC leader on my Sol for throwing light t-rigs, shaky heads, etc.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:52 pm

I use braid on all combos except my ultralight rod which gets 2# mono. As already mentioned, leaders depend on the situation. In greenish off-colored water I use green braid for everything, yellow braid for bottom contact with a fluoro leader. In brownish off-colored water I use brown braid...and never have luck with finesse in muddy water (duh) so I dont really even bother. Another consideration is where your fishing and what species are there. I fish mostly rivers and inshore waters so you never are 100% sure what you will pull out of the water, or the size of the creature...so IMO you need braid because it could be a monster with teeth!....however if I was on a lake or pond or somthing I might think twice about using braid for everything. IMO you dont need 65# braid to catch a 3# bass.....people need to learn how to have fun with light line and stop following what the pros do...but im getting off topic... [-X
stress-what happens between fishing trips

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:31 pm

for me itssss...

cranks,spinnerbaits,chatterbaits-braid or mono

-jigs soft plastics-braid

-swimabits-braid with mono leader

no floro at all here
https://www.youtube.com/@KeePReeLing