Ande fishing line

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Ande fishing line

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:42 am

Guys, I happened to buy original Ande green fishing line (not the IGFA rated line) for a saltwater trip, a trip I refilled line often if not every evening.

It was cheap, but upon closer inspection I was very impressed with its consistency and performance. Very smooth and not "bumpy" at all. I noticed it said made in Germany on it. The Sufix I did not buy was made in China. The Momoi I did not buy had a great consistency and feel but was expensive (but made in Japan). I no longer use Big Game - not a fan of it in the lower tests.

Can it be that Ande is just a well-made line that is very inexpensive? I like it alot better than Big Game that I used to use. Until recently I had considered Ande a low tier line, but it looks like it will fill my Izorline niche (Izorline is available only mail order in Houston and made in Taiwan). I found it a little hard to believe that Ande was as good as it was yet so cheap and I have it in my line box next to my Sugoi and my Samurai and my Sunline....

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ande fishing line

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:38 am

Cheap does not mean bad. Ande has the highest Palomar knot strength, so many who use that knot think it's the best line (but there are stronger knots).

If you like saving money on saltwater line, check out Bass Pro Shops' "Tight Line" mono. It's Suffix Superior. It has high abrasion resistance and low memory like P-line Floroclear. Very inexpensive, especially when Bass Pro has it on sale.
Last edited by Snyder Rods on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:05 am

A lot of guys like Ande line. Back in the day, I remember it being the line to get. Isnt this the brand that more world records are caught on than any other? Few years back (5?), there was a widely talked about mono test. This guy compared tensile strength, stretch & abrasion resistance on approx 20 different lines. Ande didn't fare that well IIRC. Still, the line has it's proponents.

Interesting that most American market lines are, on the label, under rated by quite a bit. There was a time that I (and others?) associated 'quality lines' with American brands like Trilene & Stren. This might have something to do with my early belief that American brands are 'better' - stronger & more abrasion resistant. I don't remember when the association of premium lines & made in Japan started. I'm guessing it has to do with fluoro. Me & fluoro, well, let's just say we still gave a love/hate relationship.

I guess I never paid attention to where Suffix is made. I find Elite, Siege & their braid (Performance although transitioning to 832) has consistently proven quality & the characteristics I want in lines.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:12 am

Ande Premium (the most widely-sold Ande line) is one of the lowest tensile strength lines that has much of a following. Numerous lines have 50% more strength for diameter than Ande.

The fact that it is relatively thick for its strength is what makes Ande a line to consider when in search of a line-class world record. There, one is deliberately using a line that is much weaker than what other anglers typically use for the size fish being sought, so if it's thick for its strength that won't deter strikes. In fact, one wants a line thick for its strength when record-seeking, because the greater cross-sectional area helps absorb shock and reduces the percent of line strength lost to a given amount of abrasion.

In most fishing, a line that is one of the thickest for its strength is not one I would choose. I will say that it resists abrasion better than many other nylon monofilaments and for that reason could be worth considering if one is fishing abrasive cover and for some reason does not want to use fluorocarbon.

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:13 am

Thanks for the feedback. I put fresh line on more than probably most and so I hardly see the negative attributes of line(s). I do like it so far.

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:04 am

Ande is awesome line! Never had a problem with it, and has pretty much been the only line for salt water I've used (back when I lived in FL), the price is just an added benefit! ;) Used it for bass once and liked it, never spooled it up a reel since then, not sure why, lol! :lol:

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:30 am

Pink Ande has been the main stay of many bottom fishing boats in Florida and for catching Yellowtail Snappers. Did eventually shift to Diamond for some applications but for bottom fishing and chasing large Groupers. Pink or Grey Ande is all I use.

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:00 am

I use Ande mono and think it's a great line as well as being inexpensive.

october
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by october » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:58 am

i use 12lb ande in green for my fw bass fishing. works great