Good braid

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Good braid

Post by adriancean » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:09 am

Hi. I want to buy a braid for fishing on the river with lipless, minow, jerkbait ... I want to buy from Sunline something ... What do you think Sunline Super PE, you have used? I am interested to be knot resistant,resistant to abrasion and to be as silky ... Or if you have other options, wait to tell me your views .. Thanks.
Until next time....Tight Lines!

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Good braid

Post by SPAZ » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:06 am

Sunline Super PE is good braid but in all honesty Personally, I didn't notice much of a difference between that and PowerPro or TuflineXP.

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:21 pm

SPAZ wrote:Sunline Super PE is good braid but in all honesty Personally, I didn't notice much of a difference between that and PowerPro or TuflineXP.
x2

Spot King
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Spot King » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:11 am

I personally don't like that braid. Sunline makes VERY GOOD fluoro, but I did not like their Super PE braid. It casts very well, very limp, handles great; BUT wasn't very abrasion resistant. I used the 55 pound for flippin; and broke a few fish off with it. I also watched my friend break one off while flippin' pads with the stuff. And if I'm not mistaken, Takahiro also broke a couple off during that Classic he won; on camera at that. I've been using Spiderwire for the last year plus. The Stealth and the Ultracast. The Ultracast is better, but it's more expensive. The Stealth IMO is fine; and that's what I've been using mostly. No complaints and the stuff is durable. Have caught multiple DD fish with the stuff.
What my name is?

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:32 am

What about Suffix Performance Braid? What do you think? It is resistant to abrasion and knot?

Jason Milligan
Angler
Angler

Post by Jason Milligan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:15 am

The Suffix 832 braid is a great all around braid. It's super strong thanks to an additional Gore fiber and the additional wraps per inch. It is supple and smooth yet still has the ability to cut through vegetation.
The Daiwa Samuri braid is a good open water braid. It's very soft and smooth. It casts great and is a good option for fishing "down baits" in open water. The downside to Samuri braid is it is so smooth it doesn't cut though vegetation well.

histackleboxshop.com
Pro Staff: Hi's Tackle Box, Damiki Fishing Tackle

SPAZ
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by SPAZ » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:31 am

adriancean wrote:What about Suffix Performance Braid? What do you think? It is resistant to abrasion and knot?
Oh shoot I forgot about Sufix! Probably because I haven't used braid in a while but my experience with it has been it's the best braid I've used as long as you use 30lb and up braid. I did have some issues with breaking on the 20lb braid but overall, I liked it better than PowerPro and Sunline PE as long as I used 30lb and up. It's really good braid but keep in mind I haven't used their gore fiber product one only their original.

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:43 am

SPAZ wrote:
adriancean wrote:What about Suffix Performance Braid? What do you think? It is resistant to abrasion and knot?
Oh shoot I forgot about Sufix! Probably because I haven't used braid in a while but my experience with it has been it's the best braid I've used as long as you use 30lb and up braid. I did have some issues with breaking on the 20lb braid but overall, I liked it better than PowerPro and Sunline PE as long as I used 30lb and up. It's really good braid but keep in mind I haven't used their gore fiber product one only their original.
I want this http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/ ... t104612580 The 20 lbs yellow interested me ....

carter
Angler
Angler

Post by carter » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:26 pm

As far as braid goes, I will never spool power pro on any reel I own. After using suffix's regular braid and their 832, I am sold. After a day on the water, suffix loses its stiff off the spool feel and gets soft and smooth. It casts very well, is very abrasion resistant and smooth, smooth, smooth. I have a couple break offs with power pro earlier this year and said no more. Suffix braid is far superior in my opinion. I use the hi-vis yellow on my spinning reels matched with a floro leader and it is great. Looks cool on the reel too 8-)

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:33 pm

carter wrote:As far as braid goes, I will never spool power pro on any reel I own. After using suffix's regular braid and their 832, I am sold. After a day on the water, suffix loses its stiff off the spool feel and gets soft and smooth. It casts very well, is very abrasion resistant and smooth, smooth, smooth. I have a couple break offs with power pro earlier this year and said no more. Suffix braid is far superior in my opinion. I use the hi-vis yellow on my spinning reels matched with a floro leader and it is great. Looks cool on the reel too 8-)
I am completely opposite. For me braid has to retain its roundness and not be limp and to soft after alot of use. If braid doesn't retain those specific qualities, they break. I have used Suffix, all the PureFishing line of braids/superlines(Stren, Berkley, Spiderwire, etc), Cajun, etc. The only braid I have yet to try is Daiwa's Samurai lines and Ripcord. So to sum it up, of all the braids I have used, Power Pro has always been the best. Example, 80lbs Power Pro Line on my old Abu Garcia 6500C3 that I use for Catfish and really big fresh water fish, has been going strong for over 8yrs now. Yup, spooled that line on back in 2003. Just landed a couple of huge sturgeons 50lbs - 70lbs this spring on this reel and 8 yrs old Power Pro Line. And yes, I use this setup quite often and this rod, reel, line takes alot of abuse yearly. Until I try Daiwa's Samurai braid and Ripcord braid, Power Pro is the Braid Line for me.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:08 am

I've had problems with breakage using 20lb suffix. For me, power pro has never failed me. I abuse this line in the ocean and have yet to change out after 4 years. Another braid that I really like is the Stren braid. This is also one tough line. I've used 10lb braid in the ocean to fish 4oz jigs and spoons and never had a break off. And I'm fishing on the bottom after rockfish (though I do use a 20lb fluoro leader).

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:06 am

Sufix makes the best braids I have used. The Performance Braid was my braid of choice until I got my hands on the new 832. I've got all but one of my braid combos rigged up with 832, and I'm waiting for my PB to wear out on that one combo.

I've fished the PB in 10 and 30lb mostly and never had any problems. In fact, during a trip to Alabama this spring, I bent out a 5/0 Owner Twist Lock while frog fishing with the 30lb, and that is one heavy hook. I've used the 832 in 10, 20, and 30lb, also without any problems.

The only braid left on my list to try is Samurai Braid.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:31 am

With spinning gear most braid line is fine, PP, PB, 832, or Samurai. With casting reels i find the softer line works best, i like Samurai the best. I usually add KVD line lube and it makes casting so much easier and longer. It's a MUST for all my casting reels.
Let's go fishing!!!

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:28 pm

I'm a big Stren Sonic braid fan. Of course I feel like I'm in the minority...and I think its b/c most haven't tried it. I've used quite a bit of Power Pro too and have nothing bad to say. THe only braid I truly didn't like was Spiderwire due to its shape and waxy coating (snagged treble hooks bad). My 2 cents.

fanjoo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fanjoo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:24 am

I have tried them all and sufix performance is the my favorite as well. Very smooth ..casts like a dream and is super tough. Been fishing with it for 3 years and have never had a break off. I don't like fishing anything about the 50lb test though.