Line for spinning reel - P-line CX vs. Floroclear.

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Line for spinning reel - P-line CX vs. Floroclear.

Post by Bassboss » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:21 am

Turns out I'm not liking braid on my spinning reels as much as I thought I would. :? I might go back to 8lb floroclear which I liked before. It was very thin, and handled extremely well on 2000 size spinning reels. But it still had a little to much stretch for my liking. CX looks like a good alternative. Same floro coated copolymer, but 30% less stretch then "average" line. It says it's thin and manageable, but I've heard that it can be a little stiff (I've heard the same thing about floroclear though). I'm also curious to see which is more abrasion resistant as I'll be fishing around a lot of rocks and trees.

I'm open to options, but would rather not go to full fluorocarbon cause of the price. :doh: I have however heard good stuff about cabelas low-vis, and it's pretty cheap too.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Line for spinning reel - P-line CX vs. Floroclear.

Post by godshippy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:09 am

I prefer Floroclear over CX. They're both pretty similar and it's hard to discern much of a difference, but the Floroclear would be my recommendation. I never noticed that the Floroclear had more stretch, but it's pretty tough and I never had any problems with it.

You could also give Maxima Ultragreen or Sunline Super Natural a shot too. Both are very good lines, but Floroclear will always have a higher spot because it was the first line I really liked.

tunnelengineer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tunnelengineer » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:30 am

CX is not as limp, at least to me anyway. I use 8lb fluoroclear on spinning gear, and the cx on casting gear. I haven't had problems with either, so need need to swap it up at all.

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:48 am

I'm considering going this a straight fluoro if I really want to get what I want out of a line. Something pretty cheap, either, Vicious pro elite, or Sunline Super. :-k

fshrfwl
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fshrfwl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:27 am

I really like the Flourclear

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 pm

I have been using CX 8lb and 10lb on spinning reels for the last 5 years or so. Ver happy with it. Limp and very little memory. Good all round spinning reel line. Yozuri Hybrid ultra soft is also excellent and in my opinion a bit tougher than the CX. The hybrid has a larger diameter with the 8lb roughly the same diameter as the CX 10lb.
In my experience I have not yet found a pure fluoro line that is really suitable for spinning reels. All are much stiffer then the above two lines and tend to come off in coils. You can get used to it but it takes more concentration to ensure you don't get any loose wraps on your reel. If you want invisibility then use a flouro leader. If you want less stretch and more sensitivity then use braid with a flouro leader.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:16 am

The differences:

Fluoroclear has less memory than CX, more stretch, and more fluorocarbon content. I think CX is available in hivis, but Fluoroclear is not.

I've used both, but prefer Stren Magnathin... it beats them both in just about every category except abrasion resistance. When I need more abrasion resistance, I just go up one size.

Philsoreel
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Philsoreel » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:31 pm

I like CX better than Fluoroclear. Fluoroclear turned milky and stiff on me after not much use, may have been an old spool. CX has performed very well in just about every department other than stretch. Not something I'd want to fish where a strong hook set is needed.

As far as going with 8lb. straight fluorocarbon on a 2000 size reel....good luck. I've spent close to a year and a small fortune trying to find a suitable 8lb. FC for my Stradic CI4 2500...Tatsu is the only line I could live with. All others that were managable, like Invizx and Toray Superhard Premium Plus Hi-Grade, had way too much stretch for me. If you don't mind the stretch Invizx is probably your best bet. I just needed more hook setting power on my shakeyhead than it could offer.

KillaBass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KillaBass » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:39 am

ive been using 8lb floroclear this whole season so far..its a good line but i have broken off a couple 3 pounders plus..and its pissing me off..i am really thinking of going to braid..y didnt u like braid on the spinning reel?
https://www.youtube.com/@KeePReeLing

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:01 am

Of the 3 P lines (Floroclear, CX, CXX), which one has the least stretch?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:55 pm

bassninja wrote:Of the 3 P lines (Floroclear, CX, CXX), which one has the least stretch?
CXX.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:38 am

dragon1 wrote:
bassninja wrote:Of the 3 P lines (Floroclear, CX, CXX), which one has the least stretch?
CXX.
- By far.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:05 am

I used to use cx exclusively on all my spinning gear and i loved it. The gander mtn. by my house stopped carrying it though so i had to switch to fluoroclear. I find it to be a little stiffer. I then tried super natural and found it far superior until about two weeks ago.. I just started throwing seaguar senshi on my stradic 2500 and for the money, its the best mono I've ever used.

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:43 am

Okay, I'll throw another question out there. Of Floroclear, CX and CXX, which one handles more like Yo Zuri Hybrid regular, not ultra soft.

Norcalbassin
Angler
Angler

Post by Norcalbassin » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:52 pm

CX