Issues With New Machinegun Cast

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Issues With New Machinegun Cast

Post by Johnny A » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:05 am

Did they reformulate the stuff? My last two spools have been absolute garbage, 16 lb test. The old stuff had a bit of stiffness or toughness, this new line is like wire leader (exaggeration).

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Issues With New Machinegun Cast

Post by BassFreak » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:38 am

I dont know if they changed anything on the machinegun cast, but ive had the same experience with the new packaging FC sniper a couple years back.. since then, the only Sunline i would buy are the ones with the old packaging. and its getting harder and harder to source. :doh:

BringItOn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BringItOn » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:33 pm

i think they did change the formulation( from the time TT reviewed that line till now). New formula is supposedly "better". I have only used the old batch in 14lbs and did like it.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:57 pm

The new Sniper is not bad and i do like their new line lay.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:36 am

I like the Metan Invisible. I've used it for 2 years in 25lb test. I tried it over the weekend in 16lb test for jerkbaits and like it so far.
I've ordered the Sunline Defier in 19lb test for shallow running cranks. I've been using the Defier in 15lb test for 4 years for a variety of purposes, down to flat sided cranks. It reminds me of Applaud line.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:47 am

Yes, Machine Gun Cast is a different formulation from when we reviewed it.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Johnny A wrote:Did they reformulate the stuff? My last two spools have been absolute garbage, 16 lb test. The old stuff had a bit of stiffness or toughness, this new line is like wire leader (exaggeration).
I think a read a year or two back where they reformulated several of their lines to include shooter, machinegun and a few others. They had the one of the best fluoro lines on the planet for flipping until they messed it up....the new formula does not seem near as durable or long lasting as the original.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:28 pm

Steve Williams wrote:
Johnny A wrote:Did they reformulate the stuff? My last two spools have been absolute garbage, 16 lb test. The old stuff had a bit of stiffness or toughness, this new line is like wire leader (exaggeration).
I think a read a year or two back where they reformulated several of their lines to include shooter, machinegun and a few others. They had the one of the best fluoro lines on the planet for flipping until they messed it up....the new formula does not seem near as durable or long lasting as the original.
Sniper was reformulated. I have not heard that about Shooter.
Cal, Managing Editor

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:28 pm

i may have the shooter mixed up then with the sniper then. I thought I read that they were no longer able to get some of the ingredients in the mix and were changing the formulation but I may have misquoted. I do know that I was fishing shooter from late 2005/early 2006 until about 2008 and then bought some again last year and had a lot of trouble with it. It was not as abrasion resistant as I remembered and did not last as long. The stuff I was fishing in 2005/2006 was tough as nails. I took it to Lake Fork and was pulling 6 and 7lb fish out from under docks and stumps with no problems. I was very fond of their 16lb and 22lb lines.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:01 pm

Oh I'm not saying they didn't reformulate Shooter. I'm just saying I hadn't heard it. I just bought sonme new spools. Have yet to spool any up but guess we'll see.

If you like the tough, unruly stuff like I do, you might want to check out the YGK DARM or Megabass Dragon Call stuff.
Cal, Managing Editor

BringItOn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BringItOn » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:08 am

Cal wrote:Oh I'm not saying they didn't reformulate Shooter. I'm just saying I hadn't heard it. I just bought sonme new spools. Have yet to spool any up but guess we'll see.

If you like the tough, unruly stuff like I do, you might want to check out the YGK DARM or Megabass Dragon Call stuff.

Hi Cal,

How would those two lines you suggested compare to Toray bawo superhard premium plus hi-grade (http://translate.google.co.jp/translate ... a&ie=UTF-8 or Toray superhard upgrade?

BIO

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:02 am

Fluorocarbon Discussion continued here:

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=31402
Cal, Managing Editor