Hypothetical strength?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Hypothetical strength?

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:18 am

Given equal total mass, is a line stronger when woven with more fibers or woven with fewer fibers?

oe

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Hypothetical strength?

Post by slipperybob » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:40 am

Without thinking, I'd say thicker line is stronger and better. So less woven strands is stronger.

I guess it's like paint. Two coatings and it maybe too thin as it's easily scratched off. Twenty coatings and it maybe too thick so it cracks on itself. So it's somewhere in between there.

When it comes to lines, I suppose it depends on material properties. There's a threshold of optimal strength to diameter performance. So the argument in theory can go either way. Sometimes it goes to looking at equal mass, the material shape and form can be very different. A more solid single fiber material vs a lighter more cell like structure of fibrous material. When you put these things under tension and strain one type will give in sooner. When a more solid single fiber material begins to buckle, it's goes out very quickly. When a lighter more cell like material begins to buckle, it's the strands that begins to give out in succession. You can also look at the overall round shape vs a flat ribbon like shape. A round shape under tension and strain tends to flatten out. A flat ribbonlike shape under strain tends to curl or compress together. I would lean to that the round shape will give out sooner becuase it has less tolerance under the stress of being flatten out. I'm thinking kind of round nylon ropes vs flat nylon straps. Just my theories with no logic in it. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish