I'd buy high-vis fluoro!

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

I'd buy high-vis fluoro!

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:47 am

Before you write me off as nuts, let me explain. I'm spend 98% of my time fishing rivers, mainly the Mississippi. The water is never truly clear and we catch lots of fish on the various high-visibility lines. In big current you have to watch your line like a hawk not only for strike detection, but mostly you need to know the instant your jig touches down, or you will be snagged all the time. The heavy current will do bad things if you're asleep at the wheel. I like the density/sink rate and sensitivity of fluoro, but I just can't see it well enough above the water to make it viable for my fishing.

Question: Are there any fluorocarbon lines that are easy to see above the water?

Right now the best compromise I've found is the opaque green Yo-Zuri Ultrasoft. I like it, but I'd like to find a true fluorocarbon with great visibility for my jig rods.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: I'd buy high-vis fluoro!

Post by Smalleyez » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:42 pm

I guess I answered my own question with a little google research. I ordered a spool of this BPS FC and we'll see how it does.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... escription
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

vtbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by vtbasser » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:55 am

I think Yo Zuri makes a pink tinted fluoro.
www.hokiebass.com
Abu Garcia, Berkley, Trilene

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:36 am

I have no problem seeing Pline Halo above water.

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stasher1 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:47 am

Have you tried a hi-viz braid with a fluoro leader? I switched to yellow braid on most of my setups and have no plans of ever going back to clear or green lines. It's just so easy to see the yellow above the water.

bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bob75 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:21 am

Stasher1 wrote:Have you tried a hi-viz braid with a fluoro leader? I switched to yellow braid on most of my setups and have no plans of ever going back to clear or green lines. It's just so easy to see the yellow above the water.
I would definitely go with a hi vis braid. I've used Power Pro Yellow. Recently purchased Suffix 832 in neon lime and have hope that it will be more visible than yellow. I would use a couple feet of mono or fluorocarbon leader to obtain abrasion resistance.

A lot of the guys fish the Mississippi for walleye with 6-8# braid as its' diameter is effected less by current.

a biley
Angler
Angler

Post by a biley » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:34 am

Buy Sunline BMS (Bite Marker System)

It's fluorocarbon line with clear/orange/pink colored markers on the line every few cm. It allows you to see a bite once it happens. Made specifically for anglers who want to see the bite right away.

The line is clear for 40cm, switches to orange for 15cm, clear 40cm, then pink 15cm.

big tom
Angler
Angler

Post by big tom » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:47 pm

Smalleyez wrote:I guess I answered my own question with a little google research. I ordered a spool of this BPS FC and we'll see how it does.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... escription
Bought a spool of 6# last month at BPS for fishing walleyes... I was astonished at the stretch!!! :shock: worse than
2$ cheep Mono... :(
LUV TO FISH!
http://northwoodsadventures.org