Sunline Super Natural & Sunline Super Fluorocarbon Opinion

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Sunline Super Natural & Sunline Super Fluorocarbon Opinion

Post by Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Has any one use these lines? Would like some opinion and reviews compared with Seaguar Fluorocarbon series of fishing line.

Sunline Super Natural mono

Sunline Super Fluorocarbon
JDM Only Please

http://youtu.be/KvXJfrf4XgA

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Sunline Super Natural & Sunline Super Fluorocarbon Opin

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:06 am

I've never used Seaugar...

I just spooled up with Super Natural in #10 yesterday for working jerkbaits. So far, it is excellent. Strong (I snagged a rock) and fairly abrasion resistant. It feels almost like a copoly...not like a typical nylon mono.

I used a spool of Super FC in #16 on a 7'MH rod. Pretty sensitive line, although stiff. The first knot I tied took a while to cinch down. It felt like if I pulled too fast it would burn and get weak. It didn't ...but it just felt stiff. Very abrasion resistant tho. I had a #2 LMB wrap me around the corner of a cement/steel breakwall and still brought him in.

The Sniper FC is better. Softer but still as sensitive. If you don't want to pay for Shooter, then get Sniper.

Jason Milligan
Angler
Angler

Post by Jason Milligan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:07 pm

I've used both over the last 2 months. The Super Natural Mono is very limp and casts like a dream. It has a very small diameter. You can use 20lb Super Natural where you'd normally use 15 of other brands. Conversely, you can use the same pound test you'd normally use for an application and the smaller diameter will help get your baits to run deeper. It doesn't seem to have the abrasion resistance found in other brands but I haven't had it fail on a fish. For open water ripbaits or ticking bottom with crankbaits I think the Super Natural would be a great choice. I'm not sure If I would be comfortable fishing it in real thick wood but like I said, I haven't had a failure with it yet.

The Super Flurocarbon has been performing very well! I've been using it in 8lb as leader on 10lb Suffix 832. The stuff is extremely strong and sensitive. I have not had a leader connection knot fail even when trying to bust off a snag. I've caught a lot of 2 to 4 pound spots on the same leader and have not had a failure. I'll repost when I fill the entire spool with the Super Flurocarbon and let you know how it handles.

histackleboxshop.com
Pro Staff: Hi's Tackle Box, Damiki Fishing Tackle

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:52 am

Jason Milligan wrote:I've used both over the last 2 months. The Super Natural Mono is very limp and casts like a dream. It has a very small diameter. You can use 20lb Super Natural where you'd normally use 15 of other brands. Conversely, you can use the same pound test you'd normally use for an application and the smaller diameter will help get your baits to run deeper. It doesn't seem to have the abrasion resistance found in other brands but I haven't had it fail on a fish. For open water ripbaits or ticking bottom with crankbaits I think the Super Natural would be a great choice. I'm not sure If I would be comfortable fishing it in real thick wood but like I said, I haven't had a failure with it yet.

The Super Flurocarbon has been performing very well! I've been using it in 8lb as leader on 10lb Suffix 832. The stuff is extremely strong and sensitive. I have not had a leader connection knot fail even when trying to bust off a snag. I've caught a lot of 2 to 4 pound spots on the same leader and have not had a failure. I'll repost when I fill the entire spool with the Super Flurocarbon and let you know how it handles.
X2!
Super Natural Mono also makes a great topwater line.
It has a very small diameter compared to other Mono so you can really get away with going up a # test strength and not feel like your sacrificing anything. It fishes a lot like a buoyant Copoly or Fluoro.
MegabassUSA.com

Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pegasus » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:28 am

Shim_Dai_Ano_Wa wrote:Has any one use these lines? Would like some opinion and reviews compared with Seaguar Fluorocarbon series of fishing line.

Sunline Super Natural mono

Sunline Super Fluorocarbon
I found that the 20 lb. was kind of stiff and some what curly out of the box I went down to the 16 lb. and found it to be great. the 16 lb.= .33 20lb. = .37 /.38

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:55 am

I just picked up some Super Natural yesterday and was wondering the same question.

Thanks for the input guys. :)

Philsoreel
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Philsoreel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:43 am

I've found the Super Natural mono line to be good for topwater and cranking. I would much rather have fluorocarbon for cranking but I use my shallow/medium cranking rod for small topwaters to but fc doesn't agree with topwater so this is a happy medium for me. I've only had one failure with the 12lb. so far. I had a good 25-26in largemouth on and had her almost to the boat and she wrapped around a pvc pipe and broke me off. I didn't realize the she had me wrapped until it was too late so it was really my fault.

BlueWaterAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by BlueWaterAngler » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:28 am

Absolutely love Super Natural, only mono i use. I've put it to good use for square bills, jerkbaits and topwaters, has casted well in every reel i've put it in, most well in the Daiwa Sol i use for jerkbaits/topwater. I've landed a good number of solid pike on this line as well as some good sized smallies/largies, so the strength is definently there, biggest thing though is it's castability and handling, i have not once had a problem with backlashes or loops with it, even with 1/4 ounce lures. It sits so beautifully on the spool that it seems to come off straight every cast. The only downfall is fishing it in rocks, it does retain strength when frayed however it does get frays quite easily in hard cover. As long as you re-tie often in these areas i think it's still fine, i do alot of cranking on rip-rap with it still.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:50 am

I use the Super Natural for almost every now and finishing up the remaining of my other monos like suffix elite, yozuri hybrid, and machinegun cast. I will still continue to use Defier, but only on tournament setups.

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:17 pm

BlueWaterAngler wrote:Absolutely love Super Natural, only mono i use. I've put it to good use for square bills, jerkbaits and topwaters, has casted well in every reel i've put it in, most well in the Daiwa Sol i use for jerkbaits/topwater. I've landed a good number of solid pike on this line as well as some good sized smallies/largies, so the strength is definently there, biggest thing though is it's castability and handling, i have not once had a problem with backlashes or loops with it, even with 1/4 ounce lures. It sits so beautifully on the spool that it seems to come off straight every cast. The only downfall is fishing it in rocks, it does retain strength when frayed however it does get frays quite easily in hard cover. As long as you re-tie often in these areas i think it's still fine, i do alot of cranking on rip-rap with it still.
what pound test super natural do you typically use for the above applications?

thanks.

perry

BlueWaterAngler
Angler
Angler

Post by BlueWaterAngler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:51 am

froteur wrote:
BlueWaterAngler wrote:Absolutely love Super Natural, only mono i use. I've put it to good use for square bills, jerkbaits and topwaters, has casted well in every reel i've put it in, most well in the Daiwa Sol i use for jerkbaits/topwater. I've landed a good number of solid pike on this line as well as some good sized smallies/largies, so the strength is definently there, biggest thing though is it's castability and handling, i have not once had a problem with backlashes or loops with it, even with 1/4 ounce lures. It sits so beautifully on the spool that it seems to come off straight every cast. The only downfall is fishing it in rocks, it does retain strength when frayed however it does get frays quite easily in hard cover. As long as you re-tie often in these areas i think it's still fine, i do alot of cranking on rip-rap with it still.
what pound test super natural do you typically use for the above applications?

thanks.

perry
For jerkbaits/topwater i go with #12, and with square bill cranks i use #14, mostly due to the fact i throw mostly bigger square bills (Lucky Craft R.C.'s, Fat BDS cranks)

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:08 am

I've heard lots of good things about Super Natural but love Sufix mono so much I haven't given it a chance yet. Probably will soon since it's right around the same price range.

I needed some new fluoro today and picked up a spool of Sunline Super Fluoro in 12lb. I'm debating taking it back and picking up some 14 or even 16lb however. How does it compare to some other lines? I will be using it for jigs in sparse cover mostly, although if I fish local ponds it can get pretty thick. I usually use 12 or 14lb BPS XPS Fluoro and both seem to fit the bill. Any comments on how the Super Fluoro compares to XPS, InvizX or Seaguar Red Label? I'm dying to spool it on but afraid I'll regret not stepping up a size or two :lol: