12lb co-poly or mono for Daiwa 2500 spinning

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

12lb co-poly or mono for Daiwa 2500 spinning

Post by Bob Ellis » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Can anyone recommend a 12lb copolymer or nylon mono that would be manageable on a Daiwa 2500 spinning reel?

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 12lb co-poly or mono for Daiwa 2500 spinning

Post by cst » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:45 pm

I don't think you're going to find any 12lb line that would fish comfortably on a 2500 sized spinning reel. Maybe do 15 or 20 pound spectra with a 12 pound leader?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:55 pm

If you have the ABS spool, then you should be okay with it if you're tossing a heavier lure weight of like 1/2 oz or more. I use Silverthread, nothing special but I buy them spools on clearance all the time for cheap because nobodyelse cares for them. I remember when I had used a spool of Maxima Chameleon Pink at one time and I like how that line worked on the spinning reel. I only gave up on it after I snagged and it broke off midline. I shouldn't bottom rig with that line so more like user error but that was how I fished mostly back then. Kind of why I like Silverthread Excalibur for. I did like Silverthread Super for more artificial lure fishing and stuff, but can't find any of that around anymore on the store shelves.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:41 am

i use yozuri ultra soft and gamma in 12lb on my certates for salmon fishing. we cast spoons and cranks all day with no problems. make sure you check the diameter of the 12lb that you plan on using. i've seen them go from.12 -.15 inch diameters. the yozuri and gamma is a .13 inch with 20lb breaking strength.

jm529
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jm529 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:45 am

check the hot deals page.. you can still get the ultra soft in 12lb for 24.95 a 1 pound spool.

Jason Milligan
Angler
Angler

Post by Jason Milligan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:15 pm

Any time I have to go to 10 pound and up on a spinning reel I usually go to braid with a leader. Seems like most lines over 8 pound just become a pain on spinning gear. Line twist, decreased casting, etc. etc. It's mostly the line twist I can't deal with.
If you insist on sticking with a copoly/mono, check out the Sunline Super Natural mono. The 12 pound has a diameter closer to 8 or 10 pound. The line is very limp and cast great.

histackleboxshop.com
Pro Staff: Hi's Tackle Box, Damiki Fishing Tackle

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:51 pm

There are lots of choices. I've always found McCoy to be a very manageable line for my Certate 2500. Used it for everything from salmon to stripers to bass. Low memory and tough. Yozuri hybrid is also a very good copolymer. Also, don't forget about Trilene Big Game. I've used all these lines and you wouldn't go wrong with any of them.

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:49 pm

I have both a Shimano Sahara 2500 with the Propulsion Spool and a Daiwa Exceler 2500 with the ABS spool and I would probably not consider putting 12lb line on the Shimano but it seems the Daiwas should be able to handle it.

The outside lip of each spool is a similar diameter but the propulsion lip takes up a lot of diameter and the spooling portion itself is a lot smaller than the Daiwa. I used to want the most compact reel I could find but have learned that a generously sized spool can be a good thing. Better line control and potential for a bigger drag foremost among them for me.

shallow thinker
Angler
Angler

Post by shallow thinker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:20 am

I like the P-Line Flouroclear in 10 lb on that size spinning reel. This is my shakey head and senko rig for freshwater... and I throw 1/8 to 1/4 ounce gs with gulp trailers in the salt. I keep a 2nd spool with 10 or 20 lb braid for topwater and jerkbaits fished over grass.

In mono, I used to spool with either bulk Ande or Sufix. Sufix was the best handling... but I have since moved to alternating braid and co-polymer lines. I only have one set up with mono and that's one that I fish heaver jigs and frequently have to break off and re-tie. Those bulk spools are less of a pain in the wallet.

Bob Ellis
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bob Ellis » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:49 pm

shallow thinker wrote:In mono, I used to spool with either bulk Ande or Sufix. Sufix was the best handling... but I have since moved to alternating braid and co-polymer lines. I only have one set up with mono and that's one that I fish heaver jigs and frequently have to break off and re-tie. Those bulk spools are less of a pain in the wallet.
What test was the Sufix you used?