Copoly with = stretch to fluoro?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Copoly with = stretch to fluoro?

Post by Bassboss » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:50 am

Recently people on the forum have been saying that copolymer has the same or less stretch then fluorocarbon.

What I wanna know, is what copolymers are you using to compare stretch to what fluorocarbons.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Copoly with = stretch to fluoro?

Post by Pen3 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Maybe they are comparing it to Invizx and not Toray Super Hard+.

Fish2Cuffs
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Fish2Cuffs » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Co-polymer line typically DOES have LESS stretch than Fluorocarbon lines. However, Fluorocarbon will "feel" more sensitive because Fluoro is more "dense" than co-poly or mono. Pure Fishing (the makers of Trilene, Spider lines, and Stren) have done some extensive testing on this.

SoFLABassAddict
Angler
Angler

Post by SoFLABassAddict » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:18 pm

I wouldn't necessarily say that co-poly lines have "less" stretch than fluoro. I can't exactly say they have more either. Each line is manufactured differently. I'd love to see some of the testing that was done by Pure Fishing if you have a link handy, Fish2Cuffs. All that being said, I've become more and more of a fan of using co-poly lines. Fluoro is a bit more sensitive, other than that, I don't see much of a benefit versus the cons of a 100% fluorocarbon line.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:38 pm

Every line has a different stretch to it. But I feel as though copoly's have less stretch than Fluoro in general. It isn't by much though and I highly doubt it will affect fishing like mono vs fluoro for example. There are some exceptions though (InvisX).

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:19 am

They stretch at different rates... at low tension (bites), fluoro is very low stretch. This is what makes fluoro so sensitive. On a high load, such as near the breaking point, fluoro stretch is in the same range as mono. That said, different brands/models of fluoros/monos can have very different ultimate elongation... anywhere from about 16% to 30% depending on what line you use.