Samurai braid?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
jiggerjake
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Samurai braid?

Post by jiggerjake » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:51 am

For anyone useing it-how do you guys like it compared to other braids? It looks a little pricey so I'm wondering if its worth the investment.(40lb.)Going to be ripping 1/2oz traps.Should I consider 50lb due to the smaller dia.to prevent possible wind knots?

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Samurai braid?

Post by Mr SwimJig » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:04 pm

Samurai braid is the best braid going, super smooth and nice small diameter. Never had any problems with this line at all. 40lbs will be fine.

SJ

REW
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by REW » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:24 pm

I have used a few different braids in the last couple of years, with Samurai and Fireline Braid being the two I used most. I like the way it fishes, but I did have a couple of breaks with it that did not seem concurrent with the test ratings. I can't remember what tests I was using at the time. For the money, I am not sure I will replace it when the spool runs out.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:44 pm

jiggerjake wrote:For anyone useing it-how do you guys like it compared to other braids? It looks a little pricey so I'm wondering if its worth the investment.(40lb.)Going to be ripping 1/2oz traps.Should I consider 50lb due to the smaller dia.to prevent possible wind knots?
This very afternoon I asked a big time Samurai user this same question about wind knots. His answer was that I shouldn't have to worry about wind knots on 20+ and 30+ was out of the question. Of course he is a much better caster than I am, so maybe it isn't impossible for me. :mrgreen: I've got 55 lb. that I will be putting on a Prodigy/Zillion Flip & Pitch combo. Was going to use 20 lb. on my new 2000A/Cielo Worm & Jig combo, but will up it to 30 lb. Samurai at the advice of another forum member. Well, he suggested 30 lb. from the rod's rating. Didn't mention a particular brand. I figure this way. It should last me a long time making the initial investment palatable. Might as well get what many feel is the best braid out there.

Give me a few months and I can give an answer based on personal experience. :big grin:

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:45 pm

Check out the 8-way braid shootout in the review section. Good stuff there.

I love Samurai braid. Very soft and easy to use.

Camofish
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Camofish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:41 pm

I'm very happy with Samurai braid. I've been using it for about a year now and have not had any problems with knots or break offs. Currently, I have the 55lb stuff on a Calcutta 201 and Zillion, and typically throw 1/2 oz bucktails, rattletraps, and fishtraps with no issues. I like the 55, but it's overkill for what I do. I'll be swapping it out with 40 as soon as I get the chance.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:28 am

The only problem I had with Samurai was it being too wispy. I had more tip wraps than with any other braid. I didn't like it.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:39 pm

The more people describing Samurai braid the more it reminds me of the old Berkley Whiplash braid. It called whiplash because that's what happens if it wraps around your rod tip. :big grin: It's a soft, and loosely braided line. It looses it's body within a few casts and spool dig'n is very easily obtained if your drag is set a little on the heavy side. I was my favorite braid for a long time when the 50# was about the same diameter as most 40# braids. Too bad the 30# braid was about the same as most other 20# braids and I remember losing quite a few lures on the cast on that one.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:23 am

I've used 30 lb Samurai for jig fishing the past few years and it's my favorite braid. I do more pitch like casting and it works great, no dig in problems. Haven't used it for applications where longer distances are involved. Initially it's expensive, but I've used the same spool during that time so for me it's worth it.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:08 am

slipperybob wrote:The more people describing Samurai braid the more it reminds me of the old Berkley Whiplash braid. It called whiplash because that's what happens if it wraps around your rod tip. :big grin: It's a soft, and loosely braided line. It looses it's body within a few casts and spool dig'n is very easily obtained if your drag is set a little on the heavy side. I was my favorite braid for a long time when the 50# was about the same diameter as most 40# braids. Too bad the 30# braid was about the same as most other 20# braids and I remember losing quite a few lures on the cast on that one.
Johnny A wrote:The only problem I had with Samurai was it being too wispy. I had more tip wraps than with any other braid. I didn't like it.
I haven't had any tip wraps, but I'm using #55. I frog and pitch jigs with it. What size are you guys using?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:52 am

I was doing my typical short wrist flick casting for short casting of about 20-25 yards. I had to change my casting to a slower more arm movement instead to avoid tip wraps. I guess windy days don't help much either if I'm casting cross wind.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

ajanke
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ajanke » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:44 am

Hello,
Andrew here from HisTackleBox.com, concerning Samurai Braid the braid as previously talked about in the previous posts has a tendency to wrap around the tip of your rods. As previously explained to me when I first started using it; after each casts make a short quick little flick of your rod tip. It usually clears up any problem with this. Back to the Samurai braid this line is a very nice limp braid, not noisy like other braids and casts a country mile.
Thanks,
Andrew :)

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:19 am

Tokugawa wrote:
slipperybob wrote:The more people describing Samurai braid the more it reminds me of the old Berkley Whiplash braid. It called whiplash because that's what happens if it wraps around your rod tip. :big grin: It's a soft, and loosely braided line. It looses it's body within a few casts and spool dig'n is very easily obtained if your drag is set a little on the heavy side. I was my favorite braid for a long time when the 50# was about the same diameter as most 40# braids. Too bad the 30# braid was about the same as most other 20# braids and I remember losing quite a few lures on the cast on that one.
Johnny A wrote:The only problem I had with Samurai was it being too wispy. I had more tip wraps than with any other braid. I didn't like it.
I haven't had any tip wraps, but I'm using #55. I frog and pitch jigs with it. What size are you guys using?
I don't remember if it was 30# or 50#.