Braid+leader

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Braid+leader

Post by adriancean » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Hy. I would be interested in a FC leader for a braid. To be more resistant to abrasion and less visible in water. What do you recommend?
Until next time....Tight Lines!

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Braid+leader

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:32 am

Abrasx. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Sharpshooter
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Sharpshooter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:59 pm

This weekend I was at a sports show and was chatting with a Bass Pro who was doing some seminars. We were discussing braided line and I asked him if he used a fluorocarbon leader. He told me he doesn't. He hasn't had problems with abrasion or visibility. He told me he uses suffix 832.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:49 am

Seguar
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Philsoreel
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Philsoreel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:19 am

If you dig hard enough online you'll find actual leader material that has a much smaller diameter to strength ratio than, for example, Abrasx. Don't hold me to it but I think Seaguar Grand Max leader material 12# is about the same diameter as 8# Invizx or Abrazx. Be expecting a premium price for this advantage or don't bother with it because it is expensive.

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stasher1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:36 am

If you're just going to be using it as leader material, manageability is a non-issue. I buy whatever is the most convenient and readily available at the time, which lately has been Trilene 100% or BPS XPS. As long as you tie a good knot, you shouldn't have a problem.

I generally use 8-10# fluoro with my 30# braid, and 12-17# with my 50# braid.

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:01 am

Mattman wrote:Seguar
What Seaguar? Invizx or Abrazx?

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:18 pm

If you're using braid+leader for bottom contact baits then I would say you can give copoly a shot too. I know quite a few people that use P-Line CXX and swear by it. They say it's the toughest stuff and does not break off. Otherwise, you can just bump up the pound test you're going to use and any fluorocarbon will do pretty well. I would personally recommend P-Line Halo.

soua0363
Angler
Angler

Post by soua0363 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:55 pm

I have been using BPS XPS 100% fluoro in 17 and 20 pound test for the last few years as leaders. Both are strong and I do not lose any sensitivity.

What I do is I spool fluoro onto another reel or spool which I want to use straight fluoro and then I use the remainder for leaders.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:38 am

adriancean wrote:What Seaguar? Invizx or Abrazx?

Leader material. Not mainline.
Matt Davis

adriancean
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by adriancean » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:04 am

Mattman wrote:
adriancean wrote:What Seaguar? Invizx or Abrazx?

Leader material. Not mainline.
Seaguar Fluoro Premier ?

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:18 am

I may be mistaken, but most fluoro leader material is much tougher than the soft fluoro used for filler spools on reels. The leader material doesn't have to be as soft or handle as well therefore it tends to be more abrasion resistant, higher knot strenght and have higher impact strength diameter for diameter. I believe I read that a few years back in Insideline when it was still in paper form or possbily in BassWest. Seaguar, Pline and a few other have 30-40yd leader spools and I believe you can get them in tests over 30lb like 40 or 50lb strength.

curls
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by curls » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:52 am

I was speaking with a very well-respected local tackle store owner and tournament fisherman about this last year. He said that in theory, any fluoro is "good", but one labelled and produced as "leader material" is always a better choice. Mostly because the extrusion process is slower and more robust, hence the increased price but increased durability and uniformity of the product.

He highly recommended P-Line CFX (http://www.p-line.com/product_detail.php?id=105) for a leader material, and after using it for northern Ontario smallies in crystal-clear water, I see exactly why he made the recommendation. 8# CFX on 20# braid mainline and I never had a breakoff even after landing a 15# northern pike!

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:54 am

Agree with the above regarding the difference between main line and leader material.

adriancean wrote: Seaguar Fluoro Premier ?
yes
Matt Davis

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:44 am

Part of the reason that many line mfg's have introduced finesse braid's is for the T-Shot Rig, where a reel is backed up with the Finesse Braid, and then connected to a 25 m. Fluorocarbon leader.

you can get 4 refills out of a 100m spool of premium fluoro,also you dont put a lot of strain on your knot traveling through your guides which i believe increases breakoffs with a short leader.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)