Which Line Type for Soft Body Swim Baits?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Which Line Type for Soft Body Swim Baits?

Post by bob75 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:07 am

Specifically 5-6" soft body swim baits.

I've primarily used mono, keep thinking that for long casts braid may be better. I don't/wont use fluorocarbon except as a leader.

Any opinions.

Thanks!

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Which Line Type for Soft Body Swim Baits?

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:21 am

Braid for baits that size.

1. I like low stretch line for a 6/0 hook to get that big thing through a lip - even an Owner Beast.
2. Especially when they hit it after a loooooong cast.

Nylon and FC are too stretchy.

bladerunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bladerunner » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:14 am

I'm torn between a heavy co-poly (P-Line CXX) and a braid (Spiderwire Stealth).

I think one of the new sinking braids would be a good solution too. (Sufix 832) or (Spiderwire Fluorobraid). If you plan to fish them deeper.

Regardless ... these are the only brands I would consider.

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:49 am

I agree with bladerunner. I'd personally go with a copoly (Izorline XXX, Pline CXX, Maxima Ultragreen, or Yozuri Hybrid) or one of the sinking braids if you want to go the braid route (Sufix 832).

ajanke
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by ajanke » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:52 am

Hello,
I definitely use braid for the larger soft baits. Mainly due to personal preferance, for the smaller soft body swim baits I like SeaGuar INVIZX 8 to 12 lb It is supple enough to cast even in windy conditions. I use some of the smaller soft body swim baits in clear water so I like fluorocarbon for this.

Thanks,
Andrew Janke
HisTackleBox.com

Jason Milligan
Angler
Angler

Post by Jason Milligan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:13 pm

Are we talking about Basstrix/Hollow Belly type baits or Osprey/Huddleston type baits? The line selection is completely different, at least for me, between these two types.
Pro Staff: Hi's Tackle Box, Damiki Fishing Tackle

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:00 pm

I'm assuming you mean soft hollow body swimbaits. I alternate between mono and braid (Sufix in both).

I use a shorter 6'6 rod for tight quarters or more accurate casting. I have mono (Sufix 12lb) spooled on this reel as I like the abrasion resistance and it casts very well. Since the distances are usually fairly short I don't feel the stretch costs me any fish.

For heavy cover, longer casts, or basically any situation where there's room I use a 7'3 H rod. Since I use this rod around cover it's already spooled with braid (Sufix Performance Braid 40lb). I feel I lose some distance with braid versus mono but it's not a deal breaker. I do get a much better hookset--especially on longer casts--using braid. This is my preference.

Derek777
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Derek777 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:55 pm

im going to hijack this thread with my line question as its along the same lines sort of. ill be using the tw powell paddletail rod to throw baits like the trash fish, black dog fake fish, baitsmith shad, and shakey fins as well as the usual hollowbelly/paddletails and also its going to double as my 3/8-1/2 oz spinnerbait rod. not sure if id like to use braid for this technique due to visibility issues so im leaning towards a copoly or mono. i have spools of yozuri hybrid, pline cxx in 15lb, trilene 100% fluoro in 15 and 20, sufix siege in 17 and 20. any thoughts?

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:09 pm

Derek777 wrote:im going to hijack this thread with my line question as its along the same lines sort of. ill be using the tw powell paddletail rod to throw baits like the trash fish, black dog fake fish, baitsmith shad, and shakey fins as well as the usual hollowbelly/paddletails and also its going to double as my 3/8-1/2 oz spinnerbait rod. not sure if id like to use braid for this technique due to visibility issues so im leaning towards a copoly or mono. i have spools of yozuri hybrid, pline cxx in 15lb, trilene 100% fluoro in 15 and 20, sufix siege in 17 and 20. any thoughts?
Not FC...ask Cal how to lose a very expensive swimbait with FC. Nylon mono or a copoly will do fine. I'd use YZH...

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Wasn't that a hard swim bait? :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Somerdink
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Somerdink » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 am

I like 30 lb braid when Im around weed beds. Around docks, timber and rocks I like fc or a mono.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:57 am

I use 20lb lft power silk around pretty much anything and had a problem..
I also don't throw them in the nastiest stuff either..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:03 am

I use Sufix braid (20 or 30lb) straight up most of the time.Rocks change things....
Happiness is a sore thumb

Jason Milligan
Angler
Angler

Post by Jason Milligan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:46 pm

For hollow belly/paddletail or any of the lighter, 5 to 6" swimbaits, I use 15# P-line CXX. I've been experimenting lately with the Sunline Natural and you can go up in line size without the drawbacks of added line diameter. I'm not sure that the Sunline has the incredible abrasion resistance that the P-Line CXX has. If you decide to go with a braid, which is a good choice for a number of reasons, I'd check out the Suffix 832. I personally would use a leader when using the braid. Most of the time they're not eating a swimbait very good in DIRTY water. Off colored water yeah but not DIRTY. Adding a mono/copoly leader will not only reduced the visibility of the line but act as a shock absorber if a big ole toad decides to make a run at the boat. I like an albright not for connecting the leader.

histackleboxshop.com
Pro Staff: Hi's Tackle Box, Damiki Fishing Tackle

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:50 am

Super line. Pick your favorite.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods