Stren Original vs Sufix Siege (stretch)

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Stren Original vs Sufix Siege (stretch)

Post by dustlane » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:52 pm

Can anyone tell me which one of these lines has the least stretch? I am a huge Stren Original fan. After thinking I had found the the perfect fluoro, I am back to a good mono for almost everything. I have settled on Stren Original. It is inexpensive, easy to find, has good abrasion resistance, handles really well, and seems to have pretty low stretch. However, I came across a deal where I can get several spools of Sufix Siege super cheap. How does Siege campare to Stren Original in the stretch department? Thanks!

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Stren Original vs Sufix Siege (stretch)

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:01 am

I know Original is fairly low stretch, 24% as per Pure Fishing's specs. Don't know about Siege though. Both are very abrasion resistant though.

If you don't need abrasion resistance, Trilene XL is slightly lower stretch at 23% and should be a little more sensitive, but I don't know if you would notice the difference? Stren Magnathin is 18% stretch, you would probably notice an increase in sensitivity with that one... but the low stretch puts a lot of force on the knot, how well you'll do with that one might depend on how good your knots are.

If you can stand a little more memory, Stren Brute strength is 22% stretch. I don't know how abrasion resistance is though. But real world abrasion resistance is mostly line diameter anyway.

husonfirst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by husonfirst » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Hmm...I think Stren has high stretch. That used to be my line for everything but I've gone to copolymers and fluoro now. I haven't used Siege but I have used Elite. My experience has been that Elite has less stretch than Original Stren. Elite is also stiffer.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:32 pm

IMO, they both have high stetch and are very comparable. The siege lays much better on the spool and is less coily in general. Both are extremely durable/abrasion resistant mono lines!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I am just looking for a good mono that has high abrasion resistance, low stretch, and is easy to find locally. Trilene XT is easy to find and is cheap but is pretty thick. Trilene Sensation is a line that I haven't tried but according to the box, it should be just right but I don't know much about it. Actually I have one reel spooled with some H2O Express line from Academy and it is not bad. It is pretty tough, handles well, and seems to have fairly low stretch. But I haven't used it long enough to get a real good read on it. I am amazed at how something as simple as fishing line can cause so much confusion.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:43 pm

I switched from Stren Original to Silverthread Excalibur a long time ago for improved abrasion resistance and less stretch. Nothing to measure conclusively but just plain fishing experience loose gathering and trying to remember how it was back then. If it weren't for all the other spools of Silverthread lines I still have, I was going to try Siege. Afterall going from 10X Excalibur to 15X Siege would make sense without much thinking or questioning. :big grin: Kind of something I told myself back in Tritanium line was available.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:17 pm

About the only lines I can get here locally are Stren (Original and Super Knot), the Trilene lines, Sufix Siege and Elite, and some of Plines offerings. I would like to give the Silver Thread lines a shot but they don't have them here. I did see some Super Silver Thread at Wal-Mart but it has been on the shelf for the last three years so I am steering clear of that.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:28 pm

The Super is more stretchy than the Excalibur. My Silverthread lines are over ten years old and still going strong. I also check the strength on them before spooling up for the season.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:54 am

Last year I was using braid pretty much exclusively with jigs but for some reason was having a hard time keeping fish hooked. Tried a couple flouro's but didn't like the way they lay on the spool. Picked up a spool of 14 lb clear Trilene XL and had probably the best fall I've had ever in terms of size and I think I only had 1 fish (dink) come off. Made me rethink the need for using more expensive lines.