spooling braid onto the reel????

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

spooling braid onto the reel????

Post by civicrr » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Not sure if this the correct forum for this topic but.....here goes.

I was on a flyfishing website the other day when the subject of fishing braid on a spinning reel came up. Seems there are a lot of guys that will take a spinning rod on their exotic location trips. That way, if they can't get 'em on a fly, the trip isn't a total loss.

A few of the guys were saying they don't bottom shot with mono before spooling up braid. Instead, they do 6 or 7 wraps the opposite direction the line would normally wind on & then tie off with a uni. They reported no slippage or phantom drag issues catching fast moving fish like tuna or bones.

Anybody hear of or use this method?

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: spooling braid onto the reel????

Post by RGMatt » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:41 pm

haven't heard that but may try it on a shallow spool reel. I've been using elec. tape as of late and No mono backing

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mr SwimJig » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:22 pm

I don't use mono for backing, I use the compression tape that comes with Power Pro braid.

SJ

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:23 am

Braid typically don't slip, even for the first few fishing trips, maybe even a whole season. However it will loosen up and slip.

I don't understand the opposite line wrap concept. It just seems more prone to loosen up. :-k
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

chartreuse
Angler
Angler

Post by chartreuse » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:38 pm

civicrr wrote:Instead, they do 6 or 7 wraps the opposite direction the line would normally wind on & then tie off with a uni.
slipperybob, that uni knot probably holds it in place well enough

Mossy Oak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mossy Oak » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:57 pm

Is there a benefit to using a little e tape on the spool opposed to just using mono backing? :-k

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Mossy Oak wrote:Is there a benefit to using a little e tape on the spool opposed to just using mono backing? :-k

Good question, I would like to know also. I've always used some old cheap Trilene Big Game mono as a backer... I seem to recall tape would also keep water out of drilled spools?

Steve_IA
Angler
Angler

Post by Steve_IA » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 am

Any advantage you gain taping your braid onto your reel vs. tying it to a mono backer depends upon how much mono you are filling your reel with. To whatever extent you are filling with mono you are lessening the amount of quality line that may be needed if you are spooled by a larger than expected fish. If you are putting on a couple of wraps of mono you probably aren't chancing much. If you fill the spool 1/2 full with mono someday you will be fighting a large fish with the cheap mono and a poorly tied knot in play.

I tie the braid onto the spool then tape OVER the first wrap from the knot around to the knot again with sticky cloth bandage tape and fill the entire spool with my desired braid. If the filler spool of braid isn't enough to fill the reel I use a backer of discarded braid of AT LEAST the same strength and join them with a good double uni knot.

steve

civicrr
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by civicrr » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:17 am

slipperybob wrote:Braid typically don't slip, even for the first few fishing trips, maybe even a whole season. However it will loosen up and slip.

I don't understand the opposite line wrap concept. It just seems more prone to loosen up. :-k
Other have reported a phantom drag when using braid on casting reels. Many years ago, I'm guessing that I encountered that once on a hookset while using a pretty powerful rod. Some research & posting on forums, I found reference to phantom drag. Since that time, I've always placed a layer of mono on the spool first, secured with a uni to uni. I've not encountered the problem since then. Thinking about that first incident (real or imagined?????), I'm thinking it was a spectra fiber braid. I find them to be more slippery vs the dynema braids.

I didn't even question the opposite line wrap. Just reposted what I read for consideration of other TT.com members. Guess it really doesn't make any sense. Rather, I'm betting it is the uni knot as well having a few 'base' wraps to wind subsequent line over that locks it in.