Mono suggestions

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Philsoreel
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Mono suggestions

Post by Philsoreel » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:42 am

Last year I was introduced to Toray Solaroam UG SH. It's by far my favorite line now. I love the low stretch and sensitivity. It's a fairly stiff line but I like that. In most cases a little stiffness translates into sensitivity to me. That being said, I am looking for a mono to use on topwater mainly. Manageability is less of a concern than low stretch and sensitivity. I spent the biggest part of last year trying new fluoros and braids so I haven't tried any new monos lately. I spent alot of time and a ton of money trying different lines to really pin-point exactly what line I prefer for each different technique I use. I don't want to have to try ten different lines to find a topwater mono I like. Can someone steer me in the right direction?

TackleTour Staff- Sorry to hear about the crash. Two years of hard work lost is a tough pill to swallow. Hope the worst is over and things get back to normal soon.

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Mono suggestions

Post by tracker01 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:34 am

I made it simple, Berkley XL for spinning and Berkley XT for my baitcasters. I used to buy different spools of line, but I decided to narrow it down and just go fishing.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:29 pm

If low stretch is what you are looking for then give Sunline Super Natural a try, its stiffer than most lines, and behaves a lot like Yo-Zuri Hybrid. The three mono's that I now use are: Big Game, Sunline and Suffix. I personally use braid on all my topwater.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:08 am

For topwater plugs like poppers, spooks, etc., I think manageability is the most important part of the line. I want larger diameter line (14-15lb) that handles well to not reduce casting distance. Sufix Elite and Sufix Siege both fit this bill. The Siege may be a little stiffer, although not enough to make a difference. Also, the Siege is more abrasion resistant.

Personally, I'd go with the Siege. It's a slightly tougher line without sacrificing manageability.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:08 pm

BB144 wrote:For topwater plugs like poppers, spooks, etc., I think manageability is the most important part of the line. I want larger diameter line (14-15lb) that handles well to not reduce casting distance. Sufix Elite and Sufix Siege both fit this bill. The Siege may be a little stiffer, although not enough to make a difference. Also, the Siege is more abrasion resistant.

Personally, I'd go with the Siege. It's a slightly tougher line without sacrificing manageability.
x2 on manageability over sensitivity/stretch for topwater. Some stretch may even help with landing the fish.

x2 on the Sufix recommendation also. Started using it exclusively for mono last year, couldn't be happier. I end up using the Sufix Elite for everything. Works great on spinning reels (what I usually have mono on) so that's usually what gets spooled on a BC when it needs some mono out of laziness. Honestly I haven't done much side by side testing of Siege vs Elite but I don't think there is that much difference.