Braid to floro

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
yum
Angler
Angler

Braid to floro

Post by yum » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:03 am

I had a post b4 about me using all mono for years for senkos,caffeine shads now and just soft plastics in general in clear water with 6-10 # test on spinning gear.The last couple years i went to straight xps floro. and the results were good BUT with the cost, lack of casting distance (compared to mono) and stiffness i asked about using braid to floro and have decided on a yet to be determined braid with a ??? length of floro. Now would it be better to use a small swivel to connect leader(line twist) or a ??? knot.sorry so long-thanx for any help.

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Braid to floro

Post by fishsmart » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:49 am

I use 20lb Sufix braid with 6 ft of 15lb fluoro tied with a Yucatan knot and connected to the lure with a loop knot attaching a QuickSwirl swivel conector.

I wade fish in saltwater.

Charles

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:46 pm

I don't like to use swivels to connect my braided line to a FC leader.

Up until now, I'd been doing it with success with the Uni-to-Uni knot (5 wraps on the FC and 8-9 on the braid). But I've been playing around with knots this winter and the Modified Albright, or Alberto Knot, has outperformed the Uni-to-Uni, especially for connecting 6-10lb braid to 6-8lb FC.

As for losing casting distance with Fluorocarbon: That may because the line is stiffer than most you're used to. I use Seaguar fluorocarbon almost exclusively and the InvisX is the softest FC I've ever used. My buddy who hates FC because of the stiffness and memory couldn't believe it was FC when it didn't look like a slinky coming off my rod tip, lol.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

jpav121
Angler
Angler

Post by jpav121 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:11 pm

BB144 wrote:I've been playing around with knots this winter and the Modified Albright, or Alberto Knot, has outperformed the Uni-to-Uni, especially for connecting 6-10lb braid to 6-8lb FC.
+1, I use the albright special and have never had a failure.
Trick 'em & stick 'em

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:54 pm

Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

TeamDaiwaRick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by TeamDaiwaRick » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:08 pm

+1 I use this one too

ma_fisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ma_fisherman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Im always a bit concerned anytime i use a line to line connection between lines of varying diameter and type because i feel that no matter which knot you use the knot will still be the weakest point of your tackle. For this reason i will use a swivel to attach a leader if i feel that a short leader is suffice. I feel much more confident in the knot strength of many different terminal tackle connections so attaching a leader this way leaves me more confident.

With that said, sometimes, a longer leader is necessary and the use of a swivel to attach the leader is not possible. In these cases i have found a modified albright knot (aka alberto knot) to be the most secure while still leaving a small footprint. The uni to uni is a nice and simple knot, however, this knot is more likely to give you trouble in the long run when the braid cuts into the flouro. The uni to uni is a much better knot when connecting lines of same diameter and type. The uni to uni is also a good knot for connecting braid to a mono backing when spooling. Assuming you dont plan on going into your backing then the strength of this knot is not as much an issue as with a leader attachment and the uni to uni is usually sufficient in this case. The uni to uni is also quick, simple, and also leaves a very small footprint so it works well for attaching backing to main line on a spool.

Some here have suggested a slim beauty knot. All i can say to those thinking of trying that knot is good luck. When used with heavier tackle it is a bit more manageable but using this knot with lighter lines is just more effort than it is worth. My two cents anyway. Take care.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:51 pm

I generally use a 3-5' FC leader on braid, that way if I happen to break off I can retie several times without having to retie the leader knot. I've been using a uni to uni knot to attach the leader for a while now, mostly because it was easy to remember how to tie :lol:

From what I've read the uni to uni knot is ~50-60% strength while the Alberto knot is closer to 90%. The uni to uni can also be a pain to tie with some FCs, I have trouble with the line wanting to twist on itself with the thicker stuff. I've never actually broken off at the leader knot, but for those reasons I'll be switching to an Alberto knot this season.

I think when I originally started looking for knots I glanced at the Alberto diagram and immediately moved on dismissing it as too complicated. Turns out it's pretty simple though, on the same level if not easier than the uni to uni. So far it's worked out great. My one complaint is the alberto leaves the fluoro tag end pointing 'down' the line which seems like it would hang up and cause more friction while casting. Still trying to get everything down perfect though so maybe I should trim it a lot closer, or it might not really have any impact at all.

ma_fisherman
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ma_fisherman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:07 pm

breezy- i t.hink you have made a good decision to go with the alberto knot this year. I also used the uni to uni for a long time but since have switched to the alberto (about a year ago) and i have had no issues with this knot and, in fact, it is rather easy to tie once you get the feel for it. Your correct that sometimes the uni to uni can be difficult depending on the size/type of fc you are using. I find with the alberto that you can cut the tag ends right down tight and this knot still does not slip. Make sure you have good scissors/shears to do this clean and tight. I like the rapala superline scissors.

Has anyone hear had much experience with the yucatan for a braid to fc leader situation? I have been experimenting with this knot here in the offseason doing a six turn yucatan with limited success. I do see some potential with this knot im just having a bit of trouble pulling all together neat without overlaps. Also, when doing this knot do i "need" to use a bimini (or other twist) with the lighter line first or can i just double back the lighter line? Interested to hear any thoughts on this knot. thanks.

Steve_IA
Angler
Angler

Post by Steve_IA » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:37 am

Breezy,
Think of the Alberto knot as a Nail knot with the leader tag end encapsulated in the knot. The bent-back length of the leader is actually the tag and can be trimmed right at the braid wraps. The braid (mainline) tag is the line that could possibly slip a little during use and I leave this tag about 1/2" long with no consequence to my casting.

steve

fishsmart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishsmart » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 am

I use a Yucatan knot with 12 wraps. I wrap the 15lb fluoro around the braid - easier to do while wading.

I tie the loop in the braid using a 3 or 4 wrap overhand knot on the 20lb Sufix braid and tighten it slowly and then pull it tight.

Charles

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:26 am

The albright special is money when joining braid to fluoro.
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:50 am

Looking back, honestly I'm not sure why I even used the uni to uni for so many years. The albright looked more difficult to tie at first but after a couple times it's much easier, especially when using a thicker leader. I was leaving the tag ends long at first because I wasn't too confident in the knot. Few days of use and posts like the above though and I'm trimming it almost flush with the knot, have yet to see anything slip.

wmiket
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by wmiket » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:24 am

Count me as one of the switchers. I changed from the uni/uni to the alberto last year and have been very happy with the performance improvement. I don't like to use a swivel unless I really have to because I invariably end up with it thru the tip guide at some point.

ryan391
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ryan391 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:16 pm

Are you guys using the finger saver rings? I have limited success with both of these knots because I cannot get the lines tight or an even pull. I was just wondering how you are tightening down to keep from slipping?