Braid to floro

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Braid to floro

Post by breezy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:02 pm

ryan391 wrote:Are you guys using the finger saver rings? I have limited success with both of these knots because I cannot get the lines tight or an even pull. I was just wondering how you are tightening down to keep from slipping?
Can't speak for everyone else obviously but I am not using any rings or other tools when tying leader knots. What size line are you using?

It's hard to explain but I usually tighten the knot slowly and make adjustments as I go. Sometimes with either knot it will start to tighten incorrectly but I can usually coax it back the right way. Maybe search youtube for some videos on how to tie each knot and watch how they're tightening it?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:23 am

Spit and lots of it to lube the lines. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Madbasser
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Madbasser » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:26 am

Another vote for 5' leader and the uni-uni knot. Seems to work great for me and i goes through the guides pretty well.

Toadslayer72
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Toadslayer72 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:55 pm

Back when I started using braid with fluoro leaders, it was the uni to uni but I later switched to the Slim Beauty. I have had zero problems using it with heavy braids and 17 lb./ 20 lb. fluoro all the way down to spinning line sizes. The thing I like the most about the knot is that both tag ends are on the back side of the knot making it a streamline package running out of the guides during a cast. This one feature of the knot made it a huge upgrade from the back to back unis, IMO.That being said, I really like the looks of that Albright knot in the video Cal linked.

As far as leader lengths, I'm sure it varies greatly from person to person depending on their situations. I prefer longer leaders though, like 8' minimum.