braid or fluoro for jigs

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: braid or fluoro for jigs

Post by breezy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:23 pm

BB144 wrote:
breezy wrote:I think both would be the idea option but recently I've been using strictly braid with a FC leader. Basically I just got tired of having to respool the fluoro so often because of line memory. Most lakes I fish are very clear and I don't think it has necessarily cost me bites but I still worry about it sometimes (when not getting bit lol). I think this year I will probably try out a couple new fluoros since the majority of my fishing is in open water, around laydowns or rocks.
I think the memory has more to do with the brand of FC. I've had the same spool of Seaguar InvisX on a reel for two seasons. I'm thinking I MIGHT change it this spring.
I have some 10lb InvizX spooled on a reel right now and agree it has low memory. I hear complaints about the line having a lot of stretch. It does feel a little more stretchy than some other FCs but it's hard to compare.

Have used primarily 12-14lb BPS XPS fluoro for jigs in the past but after a month or two max it would have so much memory I had to change it. Been thinking about revisiting different FC brands this season, or even trying some YZH.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Both. I use 16lb Toray Superhard Upgrade on one setup and 65 Lb Braid with a 20lb flouro leader on another. If the water is dirty I will use straight braid.

Steve Williams
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Steve Williams » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:25 pm

I'm another that uses both. Heavy grass, mats, swim jig - Braid. Wood, rock, ledges - Fluorocarbon. If the water is really muddy, I may opt for braid. Around docks and overhangs, almost exclusively fluorocarbon because I like the bait to fall on a slack line so that it fall straight down.

I find fluoro to be the most sensitive of any line. The thing with fluoro is you can let the bait fall on a slack line and you can feel the bite before you see the line twitch. With braid, if the line is slack, you better hope you see it jump because you wont' feel anything. Just my experience/opinion.

cmc
Angler
Angler

Post by cmc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:37 am

I used to spool on 15lb InvizX and found though it had really low memory, it did have a heck of a lot of stretch, and when it stretched, it was left deformed (unlike mono after it stretches).
I then moved onto 16lb Sunline SuperFC, which has the same diameter as 12 lb mono. This line while having more memory than InvizX, stretches much much less, is in my opinion more sensitive, and what really suprized me is that it has much better abrasion resistance. Try some out if the InvizX isnt doing it for you.