Stiff/wirey braid for slack line sensitivity

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Stiff/wirey braid for slack line sensitivity

Post by slipperybob » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:03 am

Cal wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:58 am
slipperybob wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:44 am
Not that there's any scientific tests to validate the following but...I feel that YGK SS112 has some strange feeling of feeling way better in terms of feeling to lure contact.
Because it is a sinking braid with negative buoyancy - i.e. it's more dense than traditional braids likely due to the inclusion of ester or some other material in the makeup.
slipperybob wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:44 am
Just kind of noisy on the casting and retrieve.
Because it's a 4-strand braid and more coarse on its surface
It's 8 strands total, 4 Ester and 4 PE. The 4 Ester is more coarse and definitely gives it some surface texture.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:47 am

slipperybob wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:03 am
It's 8 strands total, 4 Ester and 4 PE. The 4 Ester is more coarse and definitely gives it some surface texture.
Eh... got it mixed up with the SS140... thanks :)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:10 pm

The SS140 is the stiffest and fastest sinking of the braids that I have tried. You do start to lose some casting distance versus the SS112 because it is so stiff. The problem with the 140 is they don’t have it in yellow so it is hard to see.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:57 pm

Sunline is coming out with “Almight” this spring that will be 1.48 SG. Looking forward to trying that one. Their Defier D Braid is very nice and similar specific gravity to YGK SS112 (actually very slightly higher). The YGK SS140 has worked fine for me as well (it’s not wiry at all in the small sizes) but of those choices I still prefer the Defier D Braid myself. One thing I’d highlight for these types of hybrid sinking lines is they tend to break well away from the knot for me (forcibly busting off a snag, etc) … which is odd behavior.

For stiff/wiry traditional braids, the updated standard Fireline (it’s all “Ultra 8” now) is really one of the most overlooked lines there is unless you live in Japan or the Midwest USA (by far the #1 braid for walleye guys). I think it’s worth considering why enthusiasts from Japan would order this stuff for “PE BFS” setups with a cult-like following. Just be mindful it’s wildly under-labeled vs true strength and the 30# is like rope, the 4/6/8# sizes are best for spinning reels and the 10-20# sizes are best on baitcasting gear. Err quite a bit smaller than you normally would when trying a given size (actually shop by diameter and not what the labeled strength says).

bl8ant
Angler
Angler

Post by bl8ant » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:08 am

Cranky wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:57 pm
Sunline is coming out with “Almight” this spring that will be 1.48 SG. Looking forward to trying that one. Their Defier D Braid is very nice and similar specific gravity to YGK SS112 (actually very slightly higher). The YGK SS140 has worked fine for me as well (it’s not wiry at all in the small sizes) but of those choices I still prefer the Defier D Braid myself. One thing I’d highlight for these types of hybrid sinking lines is they tend to break well away from the knot for me (forcibly busting off a snag, etc) … which is odd behavior.

For stiff/wiry traditional braids, the updated standard Fireline (it’s all “Ultra 8” now) is really one of the most overlooked lines there is unless you live in Japan or the Midwest USA (by far the #1 braid for walleye guys). I think it’s worth considering why enthusiasts from Japan would order this stuff for “PE BFS” setups with a cult-like following. Just be mindful it’s wildly under-labeled vs true strength and the 30# is like rope, the 4/6/8# sizes are best for spinning reels and the 10-20# sizes are best on baitcasting gear. Err quite a bit smaller than you normally would when trying a given size (actually shop by diameter and not what the labeled strength says).
Great info, I picked up 30 lbs Fireline after reading some responses. Ice on the lakes here but will be interesting to see if the stiffness translates to better slack line sensitivity.