Best Japanese 8 strand or better braid.

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Best Japanese 8 strand or better braid.

Post by Finesse Angler » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Looking for insight on some of the best Japanese 8 carrier braids. Looking for 6-8lb breaking strength and thin. Going to be putting it on a Daiwa Exist 2506 matched to a Major Craft MSX 6’5” L bass rod. I use it as an all around rod from Jerkbaits and crankbaits to flick shake and shakey head, as well as anything in between. Just wanting to hear some suggestions and your experience before dropping the coin on braid that expensive.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best Japanese 8 strand or better braid.

Post by Allsorts » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:50 pm

I've been using Varivas Super Trout Advance Max Power PE 0.6 (from Digitaka) about 5 months for finesse bassing on a Vanquish 2500S. I highly recommend it, I use a 12' of Maxima 6lb FC as a leader with an FG knot. On that rig, whichever braid you pick, I would suggest you go with PE 0.6 unless abrasion is a big issue then go PE 0.8.

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse Angler » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:36 am

Allsorts wrote:I've been using Varivas Super Trout Advance Max Power PE 0.6 (from Digitaka) about 5 months for finesse bassing on a Vanquish 2500S. I highly recommend it, I use a 12' of Maxima 6lb FC as a leader with an FG knot. On that rig, whichever braid you pick, I would suggest you go with PE 0.6 unless abrasion is a big issue then go PE 0.8.

I was looking at Varivas, I’ve seen some pretty good reviews on their sea bass pe and they’ve got some nice bright colors. I almost got some of the super trout for my ultralight several months back but went with YGK G-soul x4 in pe 0.2. How smooth does the varivas come through the guides? I hate listening to loud braid.

Allsorts
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Allsorts » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:40 am

Very smooth, no noise.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:52 am

I really like the Hitena braid. I am slowing converting all my reels to that. So far, I only have the Supercast. I want o try the Silky.

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:13 pm

Rodster14 wrote:I really like the Hitena braid. I am slowing converting all my reels to that. So far, I only have the Supercast. I want o try the Silky.
Have tried the Silky in PE2 41lb, but it is not as smooth as the Gosen 16-strand 41 lb or the Sufix 13-strand 131 30lb.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:42 pm

Rodster14 wrote:I really like the Hitena braid. I am slowing converting all my reels to that. So far, I only have the Supercast. I want o try the Silky.
Where is it made? Seems to be a Korean brand.

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Japan.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:50 pm

I was going to post this in my Mail Call Thread a while back, but I was emberrased because of the amount of money I spent on a particular braid in this picture and I wanted some time to test out both of these lines.

Although you are looking for a specific PE size and and a particular applicaiton, I can give some general comments on some of the best braids I have tried this year.
I have a habit of putting these quality braids under a microscope to check out the tightness of the weave and wear over a period of time.
The Nogales Dead Or Alive Ultra Power Finesse only goes down to .8 PE, I am using the 2 PE on a shallow spool baitcaster. It's a dark green with light green strips every 5 meters or so. I use a fluro leader so the color is not a huge deal to me. I would classifly this as a semi soft braid without much coating, it is very tightly bound and has excellent casting properties. I dont have heavy cover to fish, so I really can't comment on abrasion resistance, but after about 10 outings is still looks really tight under a scope with minimal "hairs". Top quality braid, no doubt.
The Varivas Monster PE Si-X- As you can see from the picture here I got a bargin. Retail is 6600JPY and I only paid 5280JPY.. :shock: Also take into consideration the 2PE comes in a big spool of 130 meters as opposed to the 3, 4 and 5 PE which only comes in 65 meter spools. I think this line was designed for catching sharks, crocodiles and hog tying hippos. It's that good. Super tight weave, excellent castability and probobly the best camo blend I have seen. Again, this is a semi soft line. This would be my go to line without any leader if I was fishing any type of vegetation or stained water. I've seen no weave distortion or hairs after multiple uses.
I'll also mention a the Varivas Super Max GT in stealth grey I bought early in the year. Another very expensive line and very soft. I have the 3PE on my HLC and it's the easiest casing, no backlash, no dig-in line I have ever used.
rsz_expensive_braid (1).jpg
rsz_expensive_braid (1).jpg (199.65 KiB) Viewed 10881 times

Finesse Angler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Finesse Angler » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:07 am

Yeah I spend a good amount on gear too. Waiting for some Seaguar R18 Kanzen Sebass in flash green, Seaguar Grandmax, and some Daiwa UVF Seabass sensor in lime green to show up. Along with a few lures from Japan. Oh those JDM goodies.

Craigthor
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craigthor » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:28 am

Finesse Angler wrote:Yeah I spend a good amount on gear too. Waiting for some Seaguar R18 Kanzen Sebass in flash green, Seaguar Grandmax, and some Daiwa UVF Seabass sensor in lime green to show up. Along with a few lures from Japan. Oh those JDM goodies.
JDM goodies are the best...