Daiwa J-Braid x4 ?

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Jayce
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa J-Braid x4 ?

Post by Jayce » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Planning to get a spool of 40 lbs for frogging.

Need some input on guys who have used it.
Will be using it on medium to heavy cover.
Want to know the lines weed cutting power, strength and durability

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Daiwa J-Braid x4 ?

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:44 pm

It's OK, but definitely a budget braid. I used some 50 last summer for frogging and punching and it worked fine, but not as well as standard Power Pro, which is better constructed, more tightly woven and less prone to tip wrapping. I wouldn't buy it if I could get power pro, but it works well enough.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:51 pm

I’ve used the 40lb and it’s thicker than the 40lb power pro that’s for sure. I was not impressed and will stick with power pro since it’s smoother and cast a lot better.

Rippin-lips
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rippin-lips » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:32 pm

I don’t mess with the x4 but I use the x8 on all my reels that I run braid on. In the past I’ve used power pro,power pro super slick 8, and suffix 832. I’ve had zero issues with the x8 in roughly 2yrs. I typically run #30 on everything and even used it for some pond froggin’ last summer. For me I like it better than regular power pro, but not quite as much as suffix 832.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed May 16, 2018 9:28 pm

IT's a buzzsaw when new....but gets soft and ropey when worn in...and that abrasive bonus goes away.

i've seen fx1 braid cheap...that's the 4 strand abrasive stuff right? uses dyneema vs the post patent expiration pe used for the budget braids fwiw

Kingpin
Angler
Angler

Post by Kingpin » Fri May 18, 2018 9:17 am

I have only used the Daiwa X8 and once I tried it, I put it on most everything. I havent tried the X4 but I would deffinately be willing to try it if it was readily available in my area. What the heck, give it a whirl. =D>

Dangerfield
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Dangerfield » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:29 am

Tim Kelly wrote:It's OK, but definitely a budget braid. I used some 50 last summer for frogging and punching and it worked fine, but not as well as standard Power Pro, which is better constructed, more tightly woven and less prone to tip wrapping. I wouldn't buy it if I could get power pro, but it works well enough.
This was my experience. I used it for 4 solid weekends on my jig rod using a 18lb FC Sniper leader. The knots would fray and disintegrate over time. The knot lost colour, from baby blue to white in no time but the spool never bled. Like Tim said, the line got very ropey. It's budget friendly, I'll stick with Maxcurato or the original PP. My BIL loves it, for the price and because he bought it - it's just not for me.