Budget Spinning Reels... Legalis best bang for buck?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
garza7585
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Budget Spinning Reels... Legalis best bang for buck?

Post by garza7585 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:10 am

Looking to add a couple of new spinning combos to my arsenal for hair jigs and this new strolling stuff i'm seeing (i've been out of fishing for 5 years or so) and also to get my daughter a nice fishing combo, but I don't want to break the bank. Been reading about some of the new budget reels and the Legalis and Fuego really caught my eye. They seem to bring alot of value. BUT the US models have only deep spool options. Does anyone have any experience with the JDM versions with the shallower spools? I believe they have a 23 Legalis LT 2500S-XH, that might be what i'm looking for.

Thoughts and recommendations?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Budget Spinning Reels... Legalis best bang for buck?

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:30 am

I have 2 Legalis LT 3000-CXH. I use them regularly and like them a lot.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Budget Spinning Reels... Legalis best bang for buck?

Post by Just_Bass » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:41 am

I used to have old Legalis LT, pretty smooth and good for budget type fishing. Got the new 2023 2000S-P for lower speed retrieve and even like it a lot, smooth and feel solid can compare with other 100 reels out there. I normally use ballistic FW, Kage LT and Vanford and don’t mind at all to include Legalis in my arsenal.
Deep spool vs Shallow spool, deep spool you have choice of using mono without worry about capacity, if using braid you can just do backing all the way to 1/2 or 2/3 depends on braid size. Backing you only do it once until you switch to different type line. If you gonna spend 80-90 bucks for JDM Legalis, I think new 2023 Exceler LT under 100 dollars not bad either and you still have warranty. It might even be the same reel just different color scheme.