Reel for this

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
SkinnyD
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Reel for this

Post by SkinnyD » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:08 pm

Hey now. I’m looking for a reel (baitcasting) that is going to be used for bottom bouncing. I care about weight, drag and smoothness when I reel. Lol. So I guess I care about everything. I’d also like it to be a Japanese or Korean made reel.

I know I can’t have it all but right now the steez, alderbaran and zenon are all on my list. Even the Metanium is on my list. No smaller than a 70 and no bigger than a 100. I’m bottom bouncing, not trolling…even though it’s basically the same thing.

Idk. Every option is good at this price point. Hell every option at 1/3 the price is good. I just want to have the high end stuff. Pure luxury, no matter how ridiculous

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Reel for this

Post by Real » Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:55 am

I bottom bouce for walleyes. The reels I liked in the past were the ones from Shimano with Instaguage, a special thumb bar with two ends, a type of flipping switch. You could disengage and engage the reel just by pushing on the thumb bar to free the reel, then pushing the other end to engage the reel. This was available on Castaic ( a bit heavy) and Core models. Using that, you can release line and engage the reel using just one hand. You don't have to turn the handle. Today, with a lot of baitcaster, you can do the same thing by pushing on the thumb bar with your thumb, then raising it by pushing UNDER the thumb bar, again with your thumb. Make sure the reel you buy can do that.

SkinnyD
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by SkinnyD » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:22 pm

So then I need a flipping reel?

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:07 am

Not really. Just make sure the one you get can be put in gear by raising the thumb bar with your thumb. My newer Curados can do that.