Conquest SE Brake Dial

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Conquest SE Brake Dial

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:16 am

So I hate to always find something wrong, but I cannot adjust my brakes on my new Conquest SE. The outside dial turns WAY too easy and the little gear that moves the brake cone doesnt move. The tiny Phillip's head screw moves though. Thinking maybe it is just loose? Either way, now i know why I kept backlashing so badly!

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Conquest SE Brake Dial

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:56 am

The little silver screw just spins on this one. My gold 100HG is dry and tight for this mechanism, the new one is tight but so greasy. Almost like grease wasn't supposed to go there. Just spins, won't adjust

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:23 am

That sux...I wouldn't even mess with it and risk damaging something. Send it back for a replacement.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:35 am

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:23 am
That sux...I wouldn't even mess with it and risk damaging something. Send it back for a replacement.
You are probably right. Just feel bad because now I will have returned a Conquest SE and a Stradic 2000SHG. Both Shimanos from Digi and I'm thinking they assume I'm just doing it for free shipping. This one really aggravates me though because it cost me a 100-yard spool of R18 LTD also. Nonetheless I just respooled it with Shooter so now I am out that money too. If it weren't for that grease all over it I am sure it would be fine, just cannot believe a +$500 reel would have this kind of quality control. And that is not a dig on Shimano either, my original Steez A had an issue too. I was able to fish the reel today, the brakes seem to be stuck on about 75%. So using the brakes at 75% with 4 pins on it is usable, just sucks because I cannot fine tune or change lures with a reel this expensive.