24 Daiwa Airtiy SF Lightest reel From Daiwa ever

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
raychoi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

24 Daiwa Airtiy SF Lightest reel From Daiwa ever

Post by raychoi » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:09 pm

https://www.lurenewsr.com/297573/

Daiwa biggest surprise. Exist SF just lost the title in a year

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 24 Daiwa Airtiy SF Lightest reel From Daiwa ever

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:31 pm

Looks like they are also releasing another version called the sensitive tune. I am excited about these reels. Especially since they're making a low gear ration 1000 framed version.

rocketsurgeon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rocketsurgeon » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:35 am

Big Airity fan here, just ordered a 2nd 2500 for an MB Kirasame ST that's incoming soon. These reels check all the boxes for me when it comes to finesse. Looks like I will have a few more options to consider for my 3rd.

raychoi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by raychoi » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:01 am

The ST tune should the best for Bass fishing in freshwater. 130g is crazy. =D>

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:14 am

I've preordered the 1000 ST SF from digitaka.
Release date is in March.
Will probably order the 1000 SF also once it's released.
These reels will make my 23 Airity 2000S reels from last year feel bulky and heavy. Even though they only weigh around 5.2 oz

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:45 am

Do we really need to go under 5oz? I don't exactly want to use something that feels like a plastic toy, and some weight is needed to balance most rods.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:35 pm

Well, its an option for those of us who want a super light reel to match up with our light and ultralight rods.
My lightest spinning combo is 7.2 oz. Its fun to catch a decent bass on such a light setup. I have multiple combos in the mid 7 oz to low 8 oz range.
I'm hoping to get under the 7 oz mark with these new daiwa reels.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:06 am

Does anyone know what the differences are between the SF and the ST SF? Unfortunately all the promo and Japanese tackle show videos are in Japanese and have no subtitles. I mean, why would they bother making just a SF without the ST? Either way I’m going to order the 1000SS STSF for trout.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:30 pm

MaxZmus wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:06 am
Does anyone know what the differences are between the SF and the ST SF? Unfortunately all the promo and Japanese tackle show videos are in Japanese and have no subtitles. I mean, why would they bother making just a SF without the ST? Either way I’m going to order the 1000SS STSF for trout.
ST uses oil instead of grease for ball bearings to improve rotation feels. I have a few this type of reels from Daiwa including Steez type II and Presso LTD and from my experience they do feel different - definitely easier to turn and stop and a little more connected in my hands, not as silky smooth as greased ball bearing reels, but not in a bad way.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:44 pm

SSS wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:45 am
Do we really need to go under 5oz? I don't exactly want to use something that feels like a plastic toy, and some weight is needed to balance most rods.
think these light reels are designed with super finesse applications in mind. in Japan it is common to use 4lb and under floro line even for bass fishing, and those are very thin JDM lines, usually require UL/SUL tackles and lighter reel with super drag and sensitive winding

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:13 pm

StymoDe wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:44 pm
SSS wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:45 am
think these light reels are designed with super finesse applications in mind. in Japan it is common to use 4lb and under floro line even for bass fishing, and those are very thin JDM lines, usually require UL/SUL tackles and lighter reel with super drag and sensitive winding
Of course, but a 5.3oz reel won't feel heavy at all. I am not trying to imply that ultra light reels is a fad, its just that something in the range of 5oz to 5.7oz feels already ultra light, and i am not seeing any benefits going lighter. Reels sub 5oz are just gonna have more plastic parts, and in the case of shimano, even use a plastic worm shaft. Personally, if i were daiwa, i wouldn't bother making a reel under 5oz, which is already extremely light, and if its also well built with their awesome glassy gears, reel would feel perfect.