2024 SLX with MGL 3 spool.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2024 SLX with MGL 3 spool.

Post by joekaz » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:03 am

joekaz wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:39 pm
godshippy wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:04 pm
I'm interested to see what the durability is like--everyone always comments that after a year of use the SLX are not nearly as smooth as the Curado counterpart. If the longevity and durability is there...this might be a low key killer.
At one time, I owned a regular STX, a STX XT, a STX MGL, and a STX DC. Every one of the reels became geary and noisy in a short amount of time reeling moving baits. I installed new gears on every one of them and they became geary again. Sometimes it only took one trip. I installed new gears again and sold them all, and of course, lost money. I shake my head when I read reviews about how smooth these reels are. Also dislike the thumb bar.
I forgot to mention that the regular SLX had a 6.3:1 gear ratio, which was super smooth when new, stayed smooth longer than the other 3 reels with the 7.3:1 ratio.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:41 am

Fwiw, the slx I had was the xg model. I've had more issues with high-gear reels of all brands than lower ratio models.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:40 am

In the video, JP says the new SLX 70 has a 70 size frame. Looks like the standard 150 size frame to me. :doh:

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:59 am

I had one, but after messing around with it in the yard I returned it.

For another 50 bucks, I would rather just get a Curado that is more refined and will hold up a lot longer.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:26 am

russ57 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:59 am
I had one, but after messing around with it in the yard I returned it.

For another 50 bucks, I would rather just get a Curado that is more refined and will hold up a lot longer.
Unfortunately, many people are not aware of the different places you can purchase a reel from to get a deeper discount than what's listed on MSRP or waiting for some kind of sale.

But I'm with you--I'd rather pay a bit more and get an actual Curado in my hands.

Still--it'll be interesting to see how this reel holds up, and if we see it for sale for steep discounts on other websites, then it could potentially be a star.

mousetank
Angler
Angler

Post by mousetank » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:52 am

joekaz wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:40 am
In the video, JP says the new SLX 70 has a 70 size frame. Looks like the standard 150 size frame to me. :doh:

That’s what I thought too…. It doesn’t look like the slx dc xt frame that is a 70 size. I’ll have to check again

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:06 pm

mousetank wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:52 am
joekaz wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:40 am

That’s what I thought too…. It doesn’t look like the slx dc xt frame that is a 70 size. I’ll have to check again
Your SLX DC XT basically has a narrowed down Curado 200I frame.
Last edited by joekaz on Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mousetank
Angler
Angler

Post by mousetank » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:56 pm

Yeah that’s right. But it’s still a 70 size frame for the slx line up. That’s all I meant. Slx dc xt is pretty much the only Shimano reel I use the most aside from my zillion and steez reels. If the new slx mgl came out with that frame it would be much better. Disappointing the new frame doesn’t look different. The mgl3 spool is awesome on the dc xt so I’m sure it’ll be awesome on this new slx mgl as well. I won’t be trying it though but I’ll definitely watch out for them when they come out.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:24 pm

mousetank wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:56 pm
Yeah that’s right. But it’s still a 70 size frame for the slx line up. That’s all I meant. Slx dc xt is pretty much the only Shimano reel I use the most aside from my zillion and steez reels. If the new slx mgl came out with that frame it would be much better. Disappointing the new frame doesn’t look different. The mgl3 spool is awesome on the dc xt so I’m sure it’ll be awesome on this new slx mgl as well. I won’t be trying it though but I’ll definitely watch out for them when they come out.
I have been intrigued by this reel since it first came out. I guess I better order one this spring.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:49 pm

I am getting sick of "new" reels coming out on outdated platforms. Yes the tech does change but still

At least the new Steez is a new platform-the 2016 one had been around for way too long. Beyond me how that 2013 Met platform and chronarch platform are still being sold 10 years later.

mousetank
Angler
Angler

Post by mousetank » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:29 pm

russ57 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:49 pm
I am getting sick of "new" reels coming out on outdated platforms. Yes the tech does change but still

At least the new Steez is a new platform-the 2016 one had been around for way too long. Beyond me how that 2013 Met platform and chronarch platform are still being sold 10 years later.
I’m sure there is so many frame designs they can come up with before you have nothing left or they’re too bulky.
Some of the old frames are still pretty solid and relevant with new technology worked in there. Change isn’t always great. :).

I mean look how awesome the first gen Mustangs were and then out come Mustang II. Yeeesh.

mousetank
Angler
Angler

Post by mousetank » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:33 pm

joekaz wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:24 pm
mousetank wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:56 pm
I have been intrigued by this reel since it first came out. I guess I better order one this spring.
I got it just because it was new and was curious because it had features above the slx. Seemed more curado/scorpion. Anyways I figured I’d use it once or twice and just sell it. Now it’s used every time I go out fishing. I don’t care for the DC brakes but it isn’t a deal breaker at all. It’s just a really fun and comfortable reel to use. And it’s very smooth. Makes an excellent chatterbait reel. Just launches the baits out there. But I’ve also used it for t-rigs, senkos etc…. But it mainly stays on my evergreen combat stick jackhammer rod.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:22 am

The SLX is okay for its price point, the frame is small enough and comparable with Curado 70 or Tatula TW 80, I agreed a lot of newer Shimano get geary and noisy over time and this thumb bar design is suck a$$ especially when wet and slippery. To be fair you have to compare SLX line up with Tatula 100 base on USDM price point, which I prefer SLX for pure distance and MGLiii should be able to handle lighter lures better even with TW80(I don’t have one)
SLX DC XT is on another level, still 200 bucks from overseas but performance is top notch both light 3/16oz all the way to heavy lure, the bad parts is, as usual for Shimano, mine start to develop some geary feel which make me maintenance the reel more often compare to other reels.
Curado 70 is the most comfortable reel I hold, compare to most other small reels, until I discovered Alphas SV TW. I sold most Curado and own 3-4 Alphas in short period of time. Too bad brake dial of Alphas is in such a wrong place so I get Salamandura SV TW (Tatula SV70) which is okay but not as good as Alphas in lure ranges and distance.
I still own SLX, SLX XT 150 size spool for line capacity and bomb cast heavy lure when I’m on kayak or tube. I consider these SLX as disposable reels compare to my zillion 1000 and zillion HD and I don’t care much about smooth feeling. The only Shimanos that I own and still as smooth as day one is CQ50 and Curado 200 ipg. I sold most of my Shimano out only just a fews that mostly stay on shelf.

mousetank
Angler
Angler

Post by mousetank » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:36 am

Just_Bass wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:22 am
The SLX is okay for its price point, the frame is small enough and comparable with Curado 70 or Tatula TW 80, I agreed a lot of newer Shimano get geary and noisy over time and this thumb bar design is suck a$$ especially when wet and slippery. To be fair you have to compare SLX line up with Tatula 100 base on USDM price point, which I prefer SLX for pure distance and MGLiii should be able to handle lighter lures better even with TW80(I don’t have one)
SLX DC XT is on another level, still 200 bucks from overseas but performance is top notch both light 3/16oz all the way to heavy lure, the bad parts is, as usual for Shimano, mine start to develop some geary feel which make me maintenance the reel more often compare to other reels.
Curado 70 is the most comfortable reel I hold, compare to most other small reels, until I discovered Alphas SV TW. I sold most Curado and own 3-4 Alphas in short period of time. Too bad brake dial of Alphas is in such a wrong place so I get Salamandura SV TW (Tatula SV70) which is okay but not as good as Alphas in lure ranges and distance.
I still own SLX, SLX XT 150 size spool for line capacity and bomb cast heavy lure when I’m on kayak or tube. I consider these SLX as disposable reels compare to my zillion 1000 and zillion HD and I don’t care much about smooth feeling. The only Shimanos that I own and still as smooth as day one is CQ50 and Curado 200 ipg. I sold most of my Shimano out only just a fews that mostly stay on shelf.
That sucks that your slx dc xt is starting to feel Geary. Did servicing it help with the geary feeling? What did you use yours for mainly? I have one and it’s as smooth as the day I got it and it was most used for chatterbaits and crankbaits. Aside from my zillion sv I used this slx dc xt just as much. I hope it doesn’t get Geary. Such a fun reel.

Just_Bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Just_Bass » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:10 am

mousetank wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:36 am

That sucks that your slx dc xt is starting to feel Geary. Did servicing it help with the geary feeling? What did you use yours for mainly? I have one and it’s as smooth as the day I got it and it was most used for chatterbaits and crankbaits. Aside from my zillion sv I used this slx dc xt just as much. I hope it doesn’t get Geary. Such a fun reel.
It helps a little, the problem I use SLX along side with Alpha and Zillion, make it feel worst than it should be. My right hand 6.2 still smoother than left XG. It might be I use left hand a lot more and pull from snagging quite a bit.