2024 Metanium DC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hennessy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 2024 Metanium DC

Post by Hennessy » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:29 am

After checking Digitaka every day for the past few wks, they finally got some stock. Not many left now even after ONE day, picked up the Xg for $365. Will be selling another ‘20 Metanium, so not a bad price after that

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am

Does anybody know if the brass gears from the 2020 Metanium will fit in this new 24 DC?

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:10 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am
Does anybody know if the brass gears from the 2020 Metanium will fit in this new 24 DC?
They do. easy swap and 2020 metanium gearsets are fairly cheap. If the reel happens to be brand new you can save some money by just swapping the main gear but if you used it for a while you wanna swap the entire gearset
Last edited by HellaBread on Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:23 pm

My sister in law's husband picked up an XG for me in Japan a couple days ago--they just arrived back; so I'll be getting my hands on mine soon!

JDM_Guy2
Angler
Angler

Post by JDM_Guy2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:06 pm

Looks like a sweet reel. Dig the new color. Would look good on my Orion :D

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:47 pm

HellaBread wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:10 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:22 am
They do. easy swap and 2020 metanium gearsets are fairly cheap. If the reel happens to be brand new you can save some money by just swapping the main gear but if you used it for a while you wanna swap the entire gearset
Mine will be here Friday from Digitaka! I have a set of gears from the 2020 Metanium already sitting around too. I had planned to put them in the shallow edition but never ended up getting that one. I can't wait to do the swap. Also have a varial 100mm handle ready to go for it. It's going on my 72H Adrena.

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:48 pm

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:47 pm
Mine will be here Friday from Digitaka! I have a set of gears from the 2020 Metanium already sitting around too. I had planned to put them in the shallow edition but never ended up getting that one. I can't wait to do the swap. Also have a varial 100mm handle ready to go for it. It's going on my 72H Adrena.
I’m almost willing to bet the DC sideplate and spool will drop right into the frame of a normal 2020 met and function perfectly fine as well. Found out the 2015 dc did that with the 2016 mgl when I got bored and happened to have both of them sitting on my bench at the same time.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 am

HellaBread wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:48 pm
Dink Whisperer wrote:
I’m almost willing to bet the DC sideplate and spool will drop right into the frame of a normal 2020 met and function perfectly fine as well. Found out the 2015 dc did that with the 2016 mgl when I got bored and happened to have both of them sitting on my bench at the same time.
I think you are correct as they look to be identical in size except for the DC bulge on the side. Now if there was a way to get a bigger spool in this thing I will have died and gone to heaven! Not really sure why they decided to go with a 70 size!?

HellaBread
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HellaBread » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:54 am

Dink Whisperer wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 am
HellaBread wrote:
Dink Whisperer wrote:
I think you are correct as they look to be identical in size except for the DC bulge on the side. Now if there was a way to get a bigger spool in this thing I will have died and gone to heaven! Not really sure why they decided to go with a 70 size!?
shallower spools are popular in japan since the japanese market typically uses braid over any other mainline, the braid they throw for bass applications is much thinner (note how i said thinner and not lighter in strength since the japanese braid rating system is based on diameter which is consistent and more accurate for estimating actual break strength and spool capacity while the US LB test ratings are arbitrary at best) than what people in the states typically throw, and they do not use backing when spooling braid to keep the spool weight down for casting performance reasons which means excessively deep spools just require an excessive amount of line and it becomes wasted weight. I personally have always fished this way so I have 0 issue with spools of this size and actually prefer it. Also with dc spools in general there’s a limit to how deep you can go since you have to make room for the bulky magnet on the spool shaft and ring insert the dc system requires.

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:52 am

HellaBread wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:54 am
Dink Whisperer wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:11 am
HellaBread wrote:
Dink Whisperer wrote:
shallower spools are popular in japan since the japanese market typically uses braid over any other mainline, the braid they throw for bass applications is much thinner (note how i said thinner and not lighter in strength since the japanese braid rating system is based on diameter which is consistent and more accurate for estimating actual break strength and spool capacity while the US LB test ratings are arbitrary at best) than what people in the states typically throw, and they do not use backing when spooling braid to keep the spool weight down for casting performance reasons which means excessively deep spools just require an excessive amount of line and it becomes wasted weight. I personally have always fished this way so I have 0 issue with spools of this size and actually prefer it. Also with dc spools in general there’s a limit to how deep you can go since you have to make room for the bulky magnet on the spool shaft and ring insert the dc system requires.
Yeah you're definitely correct about them using shallower spools in Japan. I only use braid for a couple select applications like topwater and flipping, everything else is fluorocarbon. Either way though if it doesn't work out with my fluorocarbon line I think it would still make one hell of a flipping/pitching reel.
Mine ended up coming early yesterday. I will have the gears installed over the weekend hopefully.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 pm

How’s the new Metanium DC treating everyone so far? Pretty smooth and casts well?

tdm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tdm » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:47 pm

Real Pudd legend wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 pm
How’s the new Metanium DC treating everyone so far? Pretty smooth and casts well?
I've only used it for a few times and it's pretty good so far, been using it with my Adrena 611M+, 3/8 oz. chatter bait minimax and 14 lb. sniper. Very smooth on the retrieve, the only way I can describe it for now is, it's like a 20 Metanium MGL with a DC brake as far as casting abilities. Not over braked like any the other DC reels I own (SLX DC XT, 17 Scorpion DC), if that makes any sense.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:32 pm

Thanks for the info brother looks like I’ll pick one up

Dink Whisperer
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dink Whisperer » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:32 am

Just a little update, the reel came in a little early on Thursday. I went ahead and completed the brass gear swap from the 2020 Metanium MGL yesterday. Everything dropped in perfectly. A couple things I did notice though. The plastic retainer that holds the drive gear is different on the DC and the MGL. Also, the small springs that go on each side of that retainer are completely different as well. You can swap the retainers around but it's a really really tight fit that doesn't feel right. All you really have to do is swap the main gear so it's not an issue but I figured I would point it out.

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:54 am

Was the retrieve not smooth therefore you did the swap ?