All new steez sv tw

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: All new steez sv tw

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:07 am

Bigfella123 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:27 pm
Does anyone know what the spool side plate is made of? I think the US ct sv was all magnesium (frame, both side plates), but the JDM was zaion (mg frame+gear side). A TW II is zaion as well I think.
Last Steez to have mg palm plate was the EX version. Palm plates on US and Japan versions are both injection molded plastic since then. The magnet cage that locks the plate in place also holds the bearing is metal, which makes the reel very rigid. The palm plate becomes a cosmetic/ergonomic feature at that point.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Bigfella123
Angler
Angler

Post by Bigfella123 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:52 pm

okay its up on the Daiwa US page. $750 :shock: :crying:

The line capacity is larger. 14lb/100yds. JDM is 12lb/80m. Maybe a deeper spool? Cant see it being wider...

Wish the JDM had the US line capacity!

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:28 am

the steez ex had a magnesium side plate? that is not something i knew, and its a shame they're not magnesium on Daiwa's flagship reel. And i don't even care if it makes no difference in rigidity, and the fact that it'll add a couple of grams, i just want it, its what flagship should be from both companies. Hell, even the front plat i would've really liked it being made out of magnesium.

raychoi
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by raychoi » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:10 am

:lol:
Bigfella123 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:52 pm

The line capacity is larger. 14lb/100yds. JDM is 12lb/80m. Maybe a deeper spool? Cant see it being wider...

:lol: The reel is about 62000 yens in Japan. Daiwa America is once again =D>

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:30 pm

$456 shipped to my door from Japan in 4 days for mine.

Daiwa USA is nuts. It’s a great reel. It’s not worth anywhere near $750. After taxes, it’s just under twice the price for the US model.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:01 am

I noticed the reel comes with a special wrench for turning the zero adjust knob. Hoping the next Steez A has this frame and side plates. I like the narrowed down nose and smooth palm side plate.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:51 am

Bigfella123 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:52 pm

I'm ok with the JDM line capacity. I'll be using braid, anyway. Heck, if it us as I suspect, 32mm spool and same width as the last steez spool, that will mean that the og SS Air and og Alphas Air spools will work in it. I might drop an SS Air spool into it, if that's the case. Even if it's narrow and 32mm like the alphas sv tw, the line capacity for up to 12# flouro is still adequate.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:08 am

I dunno about you guys--but I'd like to see 95mm handles become the norm. I know you can just order another handle, but at this price point it should come with a 95mm handle so you don't have to buy another part.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:58 pm

At this price point what they should have is a carbon handle. How is it that some alphas air stream, px68 or the alphas type r had a carbon handle, but not Daiwa's flagship that approach 1k usd? This applies to shimano as well, but that company has been using nothing but ugly handles made out of metal since i don't know how long, so i am not expecting much from shimano, but i do from Daiwa, and its been very disappointing.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:42 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:58 pm
At this price point what they should have is a carbon handle. How is it that some alphas air stream, px68 or the alphas type r had a carbon handle, but not Daiwa's flagship that approach 1k usd? This applies to shimano as well, but that company has been using nothing but ugly handles made out of metal since i don't know how long, so i am not expecting much from shimano, but i do from Daiwa, and its been very disappointing.
godshippy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:08 am
I dunno about you guys--but I'd like to see 95mm handles become the norm. I know you can just order another handle, but at this price point it should come with a 95mm handle so you don't have to buy another part.
Got to agree with both of you. First of all I hate paying a ton and being stuck with an 85mm handle until I order a different one. Would much prefer the standard to become a 90mm and offering carbon at these price points would be nice.

I really love reels and equipment, but the prices are getting out of hand. A Zillion is almost $400 USD now, was $300 just a few generations back. Eventually they will get stuck with these. If they ever shut down buying from overseas, I think they will be surprised by how much sales of certain models drop.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:20 am

Totally agree, Daiwa stock aluminum handles look cheaper than most Kastking ones. Or let’s say no design-effort. Plain shapes and round edges. No machined shapes like on the Metanium ones. Feels like they hired a design team for the reels and let half blind grandpa do the handles just like he used to back in the day. Design wise they don’t „belong“ together.

But is a carbon handle even worth what they charge us for? Are they any more expensive to make compared to a CNCd one? There are decent ones on AliExpress for 13$ and they basically look the same as the SLP. I suspect a huge markup just for the “custom“ aspect of those.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:31 pm

I told myself 4 years ago these prices were getting out of control, assuming they wouldn't continue to jack the prices up anymore with every new release. This is seriously getting dumb. No wonder so many people are using Tats.
And yeah, give us a flippin carbon handle already. And while you're at it, how about a colorful paint job.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:33 am

Maybe I am over saturated with cheap Aliexpress carbon handles but I now associate them with cheap and have an appreciation for a nice forged alloy handle. But if you want carbon fiber, 95mm and Zillion HD like knobs then for $11 this can be yours.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqU6n0Q

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:20 pm

While I do like a nice higher end CF handle, I prefer 92-100 mm aluminum swept handles for most of my power fishing. Also, the current Zillion aluminum handles are actually very nice, especially the Zillion HD one.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:22 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:33 am
Maybe I am over saturated with cheap Aliexpress carbon handles but I now associate them with cheap and have an appreciation for a nice forged alloy handle. But if you want carbon fiber, 95mm and Zillion HD like knobs then for $11 this can be yours.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqU6n0Q
That's pretty nice. How much lighter are they than the original?