Daiwa Alphas Air TW line

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Alphas Air TW line

Post by montey » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:54 pm

Hello

I have an Alphas Air TW on the way, and was thinking of putting Power Pro 8lb braided line on it.
Would it be a good line to use on this reel? Is it best to under fill the spool?
I won't be ultra light fishing with it, 1/16oz ned with a TRD is the lightest I'll be going. Using it for bass and whatever else bites these lures.
Probably more 3/32 and 1/8oz lures than anything else.

Thanks!

KSRonH
Angler
Angler

Re: Daiwa Alphas Air TW line

Post by KSRonH » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:45 am

what rod are you putting the reel on ?

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:44 am

KSRonH wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:45 am
what rod are you putting the reel on ?
Phenix Feather light and ML

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:39 pm

I'd say either X9 braid in 10# or Nanobraid in 8#. I have 8# Nanobraid on mine, and it has served me very well. Btw, I do have my spool less than full, but more than halfway.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:26 pm

Try some Berkley X9. My main braid for a few years now.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:24 am

I have not used it on a casting reel, but so far I have enjoyed Berkley X9 (6lb Flame Green). I have also extensively used Sufix Nanobraid in 6lb and it has been great too. I did run Sufix 832 8lb on a BFS setup for a while and it was okay as far as toughness goes, just had some digging in and management issues (could have been user error).

Another light line I liked was 8lb original PowerPro, but it would dig in a bit and just was not as smooth as the others mentioned. We have a local store going out of business that has some 5lb original PowerPro too, but at some point I would think you'd get too thin for a casting reel. I know people with DIY spools have reported line getting between the frame/spool area when using hyper thin braids.

I think with the weights you mentioned then 10lb Berkley X9 would be great, it is thinner than most so you should still be able to bomb lures while still having a good bit more strength than the 6lb or 8lb versions. These new 6lb and 8lb braids have held strong for me so far, but they are unbelievably thin diameter.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:15 am

I ended up using some 8lb original PP, and it's been working great. I filled the spool about 3/4 of the way, and it's been casting really well.