Bates

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Bates

Post by bronzebacks » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:17 pm

Anyone know anything about the Bates hundo? Looks interesting to me

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Bates

Post by dragon1 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:28 pm

It's the solid CNC machined frame, that is their main claim to fame...this said the internals have quite a familiarity to some OEM brands popular today in the US market.

I'm not sure if the actual mechanical engineering will justify the price, IMO... we'll have to see user reviews of it, especially by those that use higher end JDM mag-finesse and BFS reels.

I watched this video and gleaned details from the comments.

https://youtu.be/qBfqzSI7hyU
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:47 am

It's funny to see people bash the quality online. It as.if they think a Steez is all metal when you crack it open.

What I see is fairly high quality construction. There are really only 2 areas where I'm concerned.

Gearing material: Daiwa gearing is has proven to be extremely durable. Even their aluminum gearing exceeds expectations.

Cast control: I've converted many a Shimano man to Daiwa with SV reels. Throwing spinnerbaits into a strong Kansas wind with zero fear will do that.

It is these two areas where I have my doubts. I don't think the frames going to crumble, and I don't think the internals are going to explode.

What I wonder is how does it cast into the wind with high resistance baits. And what is the longevity of their gearing under heavy drag.

They look to be high end Doyo or Banax produced reels. Almost like an aluminum ABU MGX. With that said I'll stick with Daiwa.

DanD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DanD » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:29 am

I bought one ftom Tackle Express. Odd, there was no paperwork included, just the reel and a reel cover similar to the TW covers. Can't remember the last time I bought a reel that didn't have paperwork or oil, etc. Loved the way it palmed, felt smooth, but didn't care for the knobs. Also the handle screw is different, its a recessed star shape, so it would require a special bit/fitting to remove. I was going to try to remove it, but was worried I may stip it, so I stopped. For the price, I just didn't feel comfortable, so I returned it. Never casted it, so maybe I'll regret returning it.

rto
Angler
Angler

Post by rto » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:19 pm

DanD wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:29 am
I bought one ftom Tackle Express. Odd, there was no paperwork included, just the reel and a reel cover similar to the TW covers. Can't remember the last time I bought a reel that didn't have paperwork or oil, etc. Loved the way it palmed, felt smooth, but didn't care for the knobs. Also the handle screw is different, its a recessed star shape, so it would require a special bit/fitting to remove. I was going to try to remove it, but was worried I may strip it, so I stopped. For the price, I just didn't feel comfortable, so I returned it. Never casted it, so maybe I'll regret returning it.
The handle screw takes a Torx bit. The schematic is online.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0586/ ... 1691070350