New Stella or Vanquish Wind Knots

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

New Stella or Vanquish Wind Knots

Post by reason162 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 8:04 pm

Anyone with the 22/23 Stella/Vanquish experiencing odd wind knots on a bomb cast?

I've gone decades without throwing a ball of yarn - now twice in 1 week, 1 per reel. I usually go right to the top edge when spooling braid - PE1 YGK - starting to think I should go 90% full instead.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: New Stella or Vanquish Wind Knots

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jul 23, 2023 6:43 am

Overfill is the #1 cause of wind knots. Another cause is when the line isn't wound tightly enough onto the spool. For me, its with things like weightless flukes and jerkbaits, where you don't always have tension on the line when reeling.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:45 am

I have both the 22 Stella (which that one is relatively new) and the 23 Vanquish since it launched... haven't had a single wind knot out of either. Not to say it won't happen it some point. My spools are full, but aren't at max capacity... I run Daiwa J-Braid Grand on all my spinning combos.

mbg1960
Angler
Angler

Post by mbg1960 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:59 pm

I have Stella Models FK 2500, 3000, and 4000. No wind knots. All have full spools of braid. Don't have problems with the FJ's in the same sizes too.

Lafalot
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Lafalot » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:46 am

Someone on a different forum mentioned that the new fin below the line roller was introduced to control the wind knots that were occuring due to the infinity loop feature.. that would indicate that wind knots have been an issue elsewhere with these reels.

Following to see if any others have wind knot issues with the newer infinity loop reels. FWIW my Stradic FM has the fin and doesn't throw wind knot.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:04 pm

Zero issues and typicality have 5-6 with me every outing 2-3 days a week.