Spinning reel compact

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Steven100
Angler
Angler

Spinning reel compact

Post by Steven100 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:02 am

Hi. I have a spinning reel certate lt 3000 cxh. C is compact? Other people told that the compact is less strong than the non compact the 3000 xh. In the compact are the gear weaker. Is it true ?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Spinning reel compact

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:06 am

Typically, "C" is the compact sized motor of the size below the indicated moniker, i.e., 3000CXH may be a 3000 sized spool/rotor, but with 2000/2500 sized gears and XH is the highest gear ratio available. This is to provide more line capacity, bigger spool diameter, larger drag surface, but keep weight down and profile compact.

Conversely, an "R", like the 2013 Certate 2510R-PE, is a 2500 diameter sized spool with shallow capacity (with the "10" numerical moniker), but with the 3000 sized gears.

Whether the "compact" gears are less strong, overall technically yes due to size of the main gear, but that doesn't mean it won't fit your needs just fine.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:30 am

Wouldn't just simple mechanical leverage make a gear stronger? As also stronger material and better rigidity in alignment. A smaller frame body but using the same gear size and material would make it just as strong. The only other exception is the user input from the type of reel handle and length.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:51 am

The C is the next size down reel body as mentioned. The gears are also sized down correspondingly so there will be somewhat less torque available as these are marketed for more finesse type applications. I don't know that I would consider it less strong in that sense as the materials are identical and the Certate gear housing is exceptionally rigid regardless of size.

You could also consider your reel as being a 2500 model with a larger rotor and spool. ;)