How does a worn gears feel when winding?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

How does a worn gears feel when winding?

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:41 am

I bought a used reel, Daiwa 16 Zillion TW HLC 1514 SHL, which condition is good, but under load there is more force needed to crank than with my other reels. Is this a clear sign of worn gears? I think it's aluminum gears in this reel? (Also clutch movement is not as smooth as in a new reels, but there's no more flaws in this reel.)

Bought it from Ebay. I'm fully satisfied what I bought - I'm not complaining at all. Just thinking should I buy new gears. (New gears seems priced reasonably.)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: How does a worn gears feel when winding?

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:46 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:41 am
I bought a used reel, Daiwa 16 Zillion TW HLC 1514 SHL, which condition is good, but under load there is more force needed to crank than with my other reels. Is this a clear sign of worn gears? I think it's aluminum gears in this reel? (Also clutch movement is not as smooth as in a new reels, but there's no more flaws in this reel.)

Bought it from Ebay. I'm fully satisfied what I bought - I'm not complaining at all. Just thinking should I buy new gears. (New gears seems priced reasonably.)
I thought all of the 1520/1516 Zillion variants had brass gears, I know that my Zillion TWS 9.1 and 7.3 both do. They are big, rugged reels, but my 9.1 gears got like that. Just harder to turn than it should have been. I would say compared to newer reels I also understand the clutch has worn like you mention too. Might just be part of that reel, as far as gears go, I would just decide if it is bad enough to order more. Maybe clean and lube it good, try that first to see if it improves, and if not, go with gears. I know worn gears should give you a similar feel always, a consistent issue. A bearing going bad though will sometimes occasionally feel rough then go away (then eventually be permanent too).

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:01 am

It feels smooth to crank, actually really smooth. Without resistance cranking is light. But reeling power is much less and much more power needed to be crank than with Z2020 SH or Tatula 200 SH. I think it's goodly lubed and that lubing again don't make big difference and I guess that bearings are also good enough.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:30 pm

That's what it feels like to me. Like a loss of cranking power. I will also notice this with good gears on a composite frame reel. It's like the main gear and pinion alignment is slightly off and there is an efficiency loss. My 2016 8:1 Tatula Type R feels like this so I don't use it for moving baits anymore. Too annoying to use. It is smooth when reeling in slack line and whatever gear mesh sensation and noise is present is not noticed on the water so it gets continued use. It it was howling at me I would swap gears.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:29 pm

I don't think your loosing efficiency through the gears per se, but through other associated wear points being the AR and bearings.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:29 am

New gears and machinery bearings seems something 21010 yen. Beginning to be a bit pricey, but maybe I should purhcase those anyway. This reel is fun, but cranking inline spinners with it is not fun. Or maybe I still try aerodynamic (and hydrodynamic) spoons with it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:24 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:29 am
New gears and machinery bearings seems something 21010 yen. Beginning to be a bit pricey, but maybe I should purhcase those anyway. This reel is fun, but cranking inline spinners with it is not fun. Or maybe I still try aerodynamic (and hydrodynamic) spoons with it.
Seems way high. I have an extra 7.3 gear set, switched my 9.1 back to original gears for a junker topwater setup. Want to say I paid $35 or so from TT. Since you are out of the US, not sure what I could do to help or send them.

jvelth74
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jvelth74 » Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:33 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:24 am
jvelth74 wrote:
Seems way high. I have an extra 7.3 gear set, switched my 9.1 back to original gears for a junker topwater setup. Want to say I paid $35 or so from TT. Since you are out of the US, not sure what I could do to help or send them.
Yes it is a bit expensive, but I ticked all bearings, one is Magsealed and also IAR roller bearing, just checking what all costs. IAR most probably is not needed. And if I'm going to change parts, it may be worth also add bearings to worm gear (I think those are bushings as STD.)

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:42 am

jvelth74 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:33 am
DirtyD64 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 3:24 am
jvelth74 wrote:
Yes it is a bit expensive, but I ticked all bearings, one is Magsealed and also IAR roller bearing, just checking what all costs. IAR most probably is not needed. And if I'm going to change parts, it may be worth also add bearings to worm gear (I think those are bushings as STD.)
I think the old 1520/1516 has one levelwind bearing. Should be a total of 10 bearings (at least that is what the US model has). 2 for main shaft, 1 anti-reverse, 2 pinion, 2 spool, 1 per knob, and 1 levelwind for 10 total.