Daiwa exist 2022

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Steven100
Angler
Angler

Daiwa exist 2022

Post by Steven100 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:35 am

Looking for a new Daiwa exist 2022, the 2500 model. But don’t know all the differences between them. Anybody can help ? And what you prefer, exist or Stella and why?

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Daiwa exist 2022

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:48 am

Steven100 wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:35 am
Looking for a new Daiwa exist 2022, the 2500 model. But don’t know all the differences between them. Anybody can help ? And what you prefer, exist or Stella and why?
You’ll get a lot of different opinions on this, and a bunch of this is subjective.

Of the 2022 models, I have a 2500 Stella FK and and a 2000 Exists. The Stella is heavier and feels sturdier. The Exists is lighter. Both reels are smooth, but the Stella feels more connected (takes more effort to turn) by design. The Exists has more of an airy feel when reeling, and starts up faster (sometimes too fast, IMO). I like the Stella better for bottom contact and the Exists more for straight retrieves, even though both are on bottom contact rods right now (the 2000 Exists is on my Ned rig rod, the 2500 Stella is on my dropshot rod). Both have great drag. I like the line lay much better on the Stella, Shimano made a bunch of oscillation changes to make the spool move up/down at slower speeds, and it affects how line is spooled on.

The Stella feels more next-gen to me (compared to the ‘18 Stella FJ and the Exists), but both are very fun reels. If I was doing saltwater I’d have no issue buying an Exists instead.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:49 pm

I have 22 Stella in 1000 and 2000S sizes. Also have 22 Exist in 2000SPG and 2000S.
I prefer the stella's for straight retrieve lures and Exist for bottom contact techniques.

Stella is heavier but I think that adds to the smoothness of the retrieve when winding in lures.
The Exist are okay but I had to relube one of them, to smooth it out. The gears were really sticky and rotational inertia was quite heavy.

If I had to choose only one, it would be the stella. There's more technology to it and I think it's a better reel.

Stump jumper
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Stump jumper » Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:24 pm

The “S” means shallow spool, the “X” means extra high gear ratio. That was the 2500 Exits that I got. I like the shallow spool in that line replacements are cheaper now and it’s quick and easy to change line. One small drawback is that that only translates to about 85 yards of 16# braid… and that Exist is capable of casting that entire line out. As far as the reel itself, I chose it over the Stella and have ZERO regrets. It is as good as it gets. Both are great reels, and you wouldn’t go wrong with either. I thought the drag was bit smoother on the Exist and I like the Daiwa monoquoc design. Very rigid. Magseal is not user service friendly, but with the right tool and oil, it’s doable. Benefits of magseal make it unique as well.

I have used Exists exclusively now for 2 years, well tested on big northern smallmouth (as well as some really big junk fish that you occasionally get fishing for smallmouth… Drum, Musky, Catfish, etc. LOL). That 2500 can handle anything, with zero slop in the gears. I just can’t get myself to use any other spinning reel now, but recently bought a Certate as a gift for someone and was impressed with it as well (just noticeably heavier).