I guess kistler must be the trendsetter these days

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

I guess kistler must be the trendsetter these days

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:37 am

Since St Croix has decided to get in the reel business

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: I guess kistler must be the trendsetter these days

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:12 am

Years back, St. Croix just used rebranded Daiwa reels. I miss those days!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:30 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:12 am
Now that I could get behind

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:43 pm

I think there are a lot of anglers who want a one stop shop for all their fishing needs - just something that they can trust in, and know that it’ll work. That’s where companies going into the reel business comes from. Because, let’s be honest: being informed about this stuff takes effort. We do it because we like it, but it’s a steep learning curve, it takes money to gain perspective (only way to know is to buy the options), and you need to constantly stay up to date.

A lot of people don’t want to deal with that and, especially when they’re shopping online (a store can create a combo for you), are happy to buy the rod/reel combination right there.

That’s my theory why St Croix is doing this, and why they’re not using rebranded Daiwa reels anymore: they don’t think they can innovate (and don’t want to), and actually using Daiwa doesn’t help them when cheaper OEM reels are available now.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:43 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
And Cabela's version of Daiwas for their Anniversary Green/Gold reels were pretty badass as well.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:05 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:43 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
And Cabela's version of Daiwas for their Anniversary Green/Gold reels were pretty badass as well.
No doubt! DAIWA NEEDS TO BRING BACK SOME COLORED REELS! And that's coming from a grayscale guy! Black/white/silver is my preference, but it seems like communists took over the fishing industry, with the end goal being to remove any variation or individuality, to standardize it to the point of pure monotony.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:03 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:05 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:43 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
No doubt! DAIWA NEEDS TO BRING BACK SOME COLORED REELS! And that's coming from a grayscale guy! Black/white/silver is my preference, but it seems like communists took over the fishing industry, with the end goal being to remove any variation or individuality, to standardize it to the point of pure monotony.
Haha...yeah man, industrialized mono-color standardization. Seems real enough.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:13 am

I'd like to see more colors too. Not sure if I'd want full on bright colored reels, say like a fully yellow orange or yellow reel, but a green like the Curados had, a white like the old Chronarch looks good.

flipper502
Angler
Angler

Post by flipper502 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:19 am

It's hard to resist temptation to market their own brand of reels as there is little investment needed and a substantial profit. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing the majority of rod companies jumping on the bandwagon.

Those Cabelas rebranded Diawas were nice as they threw in a few perks like extra bearings. I sill use the green Zillion and Fuego anniversary reels I grabbed when my local store was blowing them out for 50% off.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:13 pm

flipper502 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:19 am
It's hard to resist temptation to market their own brand of reels as there is little investment needed and a substantial profit. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing the majority of rod companies jumping on the bandwagon.

Those Cabelas rebranded Diawas were nice as they threw in a few perks like extra bearings. I sill use the green Zillion and Fuego anniversary reels I grabbed when my local store was blowing them out for 50% off.
Frig man, try to keep those reels no matter how old they get...retire them and showcase them if you no longer use them. I still regret selling my Cabela's Anniversary Green-Gold Fuego 2500...it was literally mint condition.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:20 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:13 am
I'd like to see more colors too. Not sure if I'd want full on bright colored reels, say like a fully yellow orange or yellow reel, but a green like the Curados had, a white like the old Chronarch looks good.
Daiwa OG colors that would be welcomed back for me: Sol, Zillion PE, Zillion Coastal, Zillion HLC color scheme, TD-ITO, Purple Alphas, Alphas R Type contrast scheme, Green-Gold/Red-Gold CVZ, I'ZE Light color scheme, Bay Area Casting Special color scheme, OG CVZ champagne/brushed aluminum, Airy Red/Yellow/Orange Pixy...man there's so many.

Shimano OG colors are fewer but classic as well: Pearl white, deep green metallic, Burgundy metallic (although the traditional Scorpion burgundy was offered not long ago).