22 Stella Question - My experience disappointing so far

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

22 Stella Question - My experience disappointing so far

Post by Dan B » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:37 am

I bought the 2500S HG. So far my experience has been piss poor. Drag is amazing and that's about it. You can tell it's smooth, but it just feels like it's lagging a bit. Definitely resistance on the retrieve even with a 4" swimbait on a 1/8oz head... once the bail gets going it just maintains that resistance. Been like that out of box and after catching about 10 fish. Doesn't seem to be working itself out. No wear near as free feeling as my Vanquishs, Certate or Exsence reels out of the box... not even compared to my Stadic Ci4+. No grinding or anything, no locking up, just resistance.

At first I was hoping it was just a little over-greased and it would loosen up a bit after some use, but it's staying pretty consistent.

Anyone have this experience before? If so, did it just need time to break in? Just don't understand why I didn't have this same experience with all the other reels I've bought and this is supposed to be Shimanos best. I guess stripping it and re-greasing with Cal grease is the next step...

Kicking myself right now for not just picking up another 23 Vanquish

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 22 Stella Question - My experience disappointing so far

Post by reason162 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:09 am

Dan B wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:37 am
No wear near as free feeling as my Vanquishs, Certate or Exsence reels out of the box... not even compared to my Stadic Ci4+. No grinding or anything, no locking up, just resistance.
Assuming there's nothing wrong with the reel - everything you compared it to has some kind of light composite rotor, while the Stella's is aluminum. It's got a heavier winding feel and that's a feature, not a bug. Might not be for everyone but I prefer the stella for straight winding baits - spybaits/finesse swimbaits on a ball head etc. I bet it will shine for shad raps and other shad cranks too.

I'm no expert on grease, but I would not put Cal's on any spinning reel gear - I think Shimano/Daiwa both use a lighter grease than that and if you think there's resistance now...drag grease will gum it up 10x more.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:27 am

reason162 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:09 am
Dan B wrote:
No wear near as free feeling as my Vanquishs, Certate or Exsence reels out of the box... not even compared to my Stadic Ci4+. No grinding or anything, no locking up, just resistance.
Assuming there's nothing wrong with the reel - everything you compared it to has some kind of light composite rotor, while the Stella's is aluminum. It's got a heavier winding feel and that's a feature, not a bug. Might not be for everyone but I prefer the stella for straight winding baits - spybaits/finesse swimbaits on a ball head etc. I bet it will shine for shad raps and other shad cranks too.

I'm no expert on grease, but I would not put Cal's on any spinning reel gear - I think Shimano/Daiwa both use a lighter grease than that and if you think there's resistance now...drag grease will gum it up 10x more.
IDK. I took it out again this morning for about an hour and it's almost annoying reeling in a 1/16 okishira head + spark shad. There is no way with this being Shimanos best it should feel like this. I'm talking compared to my Exsence, Stradic, etc a minimum of 5 times the resistance.

If this is the "Stella" feel, then I want nothing to do with it. None of the reviews I've read ever described something like this.
I in no way expect the same nothingness feeling the Vanquish has, but something just seems off to me. This definitely isn't a startup inertia thing either, even once it gets going it doesn't go away

Rodster14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Rodster14 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 8:53 am

I would return it and get a Vanquish.

mrpao
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mrpao » Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:38 pm

There is probably something over tightened or something else not lined up properly. I would definitely return it or have shimano look at it.
I purchased a size 1000 last year and had to return it.
The rotor didn't even want to spin properly on it.
My first shimano return ever, and it was a stella.
That said, i have several of the current model and two of the old model. All are smooth and easy to retrieve. The new model is not as light and airy as the Vanquish but close.
These flagship reels aren't without issues. I had to take apart and relube a 22 Exist too. You think these high dollar reels would be perfect out of the box but sometimes they have problems too.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:18 pm

reason162 wrote:
Dan B wrote:

Absolutely agreed sir. I prefer my Stellas for just as you describe. Swimming the lowly forgotten grub, swum hair, Shad raps.

I run 3 of them and 6 Exsence. No issues.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Thu Jun 22, 2023 11:01 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:18 pm
reason162 wrote:
Dan B wrote:

Absolutely agreed sir. I prefer my Stellas for just as you describe. Swimming the lowly forgotten grub, swum hair, Shad raps.

I run 3 of them and 6 Exsence. No issues.
Problem is with this kind of resistance it's like I'm reeling in a chatterbait/crankbait on a spinning rod when it's just a okishira head + spark shad... it definitely can't be normal. And alot of that feeling is maintained when just turning the handle in the garage.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:01 am

My Stella FK has about as much turning resistance as the Stella FJ. They definitely feel more connected - smooth, but with some built-in resistance. Running braid or Fireline adds a raspy feeling, but it's in the line, never in the reel.

The Exists feels way freer and easier to turn than the Stella. The handle just turns, with no effort required.

I like both feelings depending on the technique. When reeling/cranking, the Exists feels better. But the lack of resistance drives me crazy during finesse bottom contact applications: when it's too easy to turn the handle, I often go too fast. I physically have to hold myself back and slow myself down, and that takes concentration and effort.

Conversely, the Stella feels great in that bottom contact situation, but reeling/cranking feels a bit more cumbersome.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:31 am

Dan B wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:27 am
I'm talking compared to my Exsence, Stradic, etc a minimum of 5 times the resistance.
Though it does have more resistance than the Vanquish/Exist, no one in their right mind would say 5x more resistance. You should probably return it or at least compare it to another Stella in a store.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:34 am

TravisNY wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:18 pm
Yeah it does great for small to med saltwater plugs too, and I spent a few days bank beating with wart-style crankbaits last year - definitely not lacking in the torque department...made cranking with a spinning reel less painful than expected :lol:

Thenewrick
Angler
Angler

Post by Thenewrick » Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:26 pm

I have a FK1000 and it feels great. Yours is a high gear so that may give you the feeling of it being less torquey.

I returned an Aldebaran high gear because reeling in a 1/4 oz jig felt like I had 5 lbs of grass on the line. Got the low gear version and it feels way better and smoother.

You may have gotten a dud.

Try returning it and get a 2500S and see if you like that better.

I love my Stella FK. The line management is fantastic for someone like me who has zero time for tangles and twists.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:47 pm

I would keep using it or send it in, I know mine took a
Bit of time to loosen up a bit, it shouldn't have the resistance that you are describing though.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:37 pm

In all honesty I think you are just used to the lightness/lack of resistance of the Vanquish/Exsence. If you purchased USDM I'd strongly consider just returning the Stella. If you purchased JDM, I'd strongly consider taking a small loss and selling it. Either way, I think you'll be happier if you just get the new Vanquish.

I hated spinning gear forever. I bought an NRX SYR and a used Stradic. Hated it. Bought a new Stradic. Hated it. Bought the NRX+ NRR. Ok I love the rod, hate the reel. Bought a Vanquish, oh my god, do I actually like spinning gear? And just like that, I realized that I didn't hate spinning gear, I had just never owned a combo that was right for me. And apparently what's right for me is something that's light with very little resistance. It sounds like it's the same for you. I can't say if there's anything wrong with your Stella. I know that everything I've read about it indicates it has noticeably more resistance and obviously it's quite heavy. Defective Stella or not, it just seems like you'd be happier with an updated Vanquish.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:21 pm

I use my stella on a 901 nrx, it makes for a very
Nice balanced combo.

The stella was just to heavy for my conquest 782 spinning rod.

I do have a Vanquish 23 2500hg that should be here Monday.

Dan B
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Dan B » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:51 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:47 pm
I would keep using it or send it in, I know mine took a
Bit of time to loosen up a bit, it shouldn't have the resistance that you are describing though.
I sent it back and Japanlureshop even paid for the return shipping. I'm assuming there is something wrong with it.

But I told them if that model feels like that then I don't want it. I'll either go to a lighter, lower gear ratio 2000 size or told them I would pay more money and go with an Exist