Curado Mgl 150XG Problem?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
jejenkyns
Angler
Angler

Curado Mgl 150XG Problem?

Post by jejenkyns » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:48 am

Hey everyone.

For context I've owned an mgl 150hg since they came to market and that reel has performed absolutely flawlessly for me. I set it up day one and have not touched the reel since, it's been a joy.

I just bought an XG a few days ago and it is driving me mad. I backlash basically every second cast. The line lay seems so sloppy I'm getting loops and buildups, loose spots where my line digs in during casting. I've respooled 3 times now to make sure I have a tight spool initially. I have my spool tension knob set tighter than my other Curado, tighter than any other reel I own. Same internal break setting as my other curado.

It just feels like the line lay is a mess. I don't know if there is a problem with the specific reel I purchased or if this is just a byproduct of more line pickup per handle turn. Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm going to return this reel today, I'm just unsure if I should just have them order me another HG or if I should take a gamble on another XG.

Thanks!

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Curado Mgl 150XG Problem?

Post by godshippy » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:33 pm

I've only got the HGs and I haven't had any issues with them. Some people do a complete clean and remove all the factory grease and oil and do it all over again a little lighter coat. The higher gear ratio will lend to some more loops cause you pick it up faster than your other thumb on the spool. Muscle memory is a real thing.