Steez 100SH gear swap

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez 100SH gear swap

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:22 pm

SSS wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:06 am
Ordered the zillion gear and steez pinion, both in 7.1. Now i wonder if it'll make the reel noticeably smoother under load when compared to the original gear set when its new 8-) I did used to have a Zillion SH a while back, and they were amazingly smooth, so hopefully its on par.
I think that while it will feel smoother, the MG body will resonate the gears and vibration more. The Zillion solid aluminum body tends to really insulate and provide a more solid/smooth feel vs MG.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:18 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:22 pm
SSS wrote:
Ordered the zillion gear and steez pinion, both in 7.1. Now i wonder if it'll make the reel noticeably smoother under load when compared to the original gear set when its new 8-) I did used to have a Zillion SH a while back, and they were amazingly smooth, so hopefully its on par.
I think that while it will feel smoother, the MG body will resonate the gears and vibration more. The Zillion solid aluminum body tends to really insulate and provide a more solid/smooth feel vs MG.
Yea i am aware of this, but at the same time, i've had plenty of magnesium reels that are as smooth as the smoothest aluminum reels that i owned. The 11bb SPR and my pixzilla with alpas sv 105 7.1 gear set to name a couple. I am sure there is a difference, but i think that while the gear set is new, its too small of a difference to notice. Its when your gears are beginning to wear that i would imagine you'd feel the buzz more on a magnesium reel. Knobs material makes a decent difference as well.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:32 am

SSS wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:18 pm
dragon1 wrote:
SSS wrote:
Yea i am aware of this, but at the same time, i've had plenty of magnesium reels that are as smooth as the smoothest aluminum reels that i owned. The 11bb SPR and my pixzilla with alpas sv 105 7.1 gear set to name a couple. I am sure there is a difference, but i think that while the gear set is new, its too small of a difference to notice. Its when your gears are beginning to wear that i would imagine you'd feel the buzz more on a magnesium reel. Knobs material makes a decent difference as well.

Koolio, I hope everything works out well. I really wish the Zillion 6.3 could be modded to drop in a TDZ, but I haven't seen or heard of this being done
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:04 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:32 am
SSS wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
SSS wrote:

Koolio, I hope everything works out well. I really wish the Zillion 6.3 could be modded to drop in a TDZ, but I haven't seen or heard of this being done
I tried it a while back, won't fit.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:29 am

SSS wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:04 am
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:32 am
SSS wrote:
dragon1 wrote:
SSS wrote:

I tried it a while back, won't fit.
Yep, that's correct...Zillion is first gen of Daiwa oversized main gear vs TDZ standard sized main gear. The only way is to enlarge the gear engine compartment on a TDZ along with other mods I'm sure, which is likely a very expensive and time consuming endeavor.