Daiwa Spinning reel question...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Spinning reel question...

Post by Randingo » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:26 pm

I have noticed that the Certate lineup has two different 3000 models the LT3000-CXH and the LT3000-XH. The CXH is .5 ounces lighter, but it seems that other specs are the same. Aside from weight, what’s the difference between the two?
Last edited by Randingo on Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Spinning are question...

Post by Johnny A » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:50 pm

Randingo wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:26 pm
I have noticed that the Certate lineup has two different 3000 models the LT3000-CXH and the LT3000-XH. The CXH is .5 ounces lighter, but it seems that other specs are the same. Aside from weight, what’s the difference between the two?
It has something to do with the size of the reel body itself. I knew at one time but I went to research it to reaquaint myself. It has something to do with being able reduce the size of the reel because the gears are smaller. The new CXH is either the same size and the old 3000 OR the same size as the old 2500. I think the "C" referred to compact, as in smaller, that's why I think it's the latter that's correct, not the former.
Please don't bet the rent on my answer or eating a mouthful of ghost peppers. I wouldn't even risk a "Purple Nurple" at this point.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:48 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:50 pm
Randingo wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:26 pm
It has something to do with the size of the reel body itself. I knew at one time but I went to research it to reaquaint myself. It has something to do with being able reduce the size of the reel because the gears are smaller. The new CXH is either the same size and the old 3000 OR the same size as the old 2500. I think the "C" referred to compact, as in smaller, that's why I think it's the latter that's correct, not the former.
Please don't bet the rent on my answer or eating a mouthful of ghost peppers. I wouldn't even risk a "Purple Nurple" at this point.
LOL! I’ll try to avoid a purple nurple, but I suspect you're right. It makes sense: for years most people I know fished smaller spinning reels (2000 & 2500) because of weight considerations, and a smaller sized body and gears with the larger spool addresses that thinking. I notice now, with the reduction of weight, many pros are going to 4000-sized reels. Thanks.

Mak
Angler
Angler

Post by Mak » Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:29 am

I have four of the 3000cxh. They have the same spool as the regular 3000 Certate, but use the 2500 body size. I liked the smaller compact 2500 body with the larger diameter spool. Didn’t feel like I needed the beefier gears in the 3000 sized body…

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:32 am

Thank you, Mak, for the clarification. And this is a better solution than the deeper but not larger spool in the 3000 Shimano uses (or have they changed?).

Mak
Angler
Angler

Post by Mak » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:20 am

Randingo wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:32 am
Thank you, Mak, for the clarification. And this is a better solution than the deeper but not larger spool in the 3000 Shimano uses (or have they changed?).
I feel like the casting distance improves with the larger diameter spools or I would have just gone with the standard 2500. I didn’t really upsize for the capacity. My Shimano Stella 3000s hold quite a bit more line due to longer, deeper spools but they are smaller diameter than the Certate. Ive never tried a side by side test with same rods and lures, but the Certate seem to get a longer cast…. I’ve never felt like I would be spooled with either with the fishing I’m using them for around here with overslept Reds and Snook, but not getting on the 40”+ sizes…