2021 Daiwa Zillion SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2021 Daiwa Zillion SV TW

Post by Chode » Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:42 pm

My only gripe is that it sits a little high on the seat and on some rods, it feels a little cramped and uncomfortable. Other than that, it's spankalicious
Last edited by Chode on Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:30 am

Great reels. My only complaint is the mag dial. It's basically impossible to adjust while palming the reel. No more making a gesture with my thumb towards me or away to send baits skipping or flying to targets. I have to stop. Flip the reel over. Make an adjustment. Cast.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:40 pm

LowRange wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:30 am
I have to stop. Flip the reel over. Make an adjustment. Cast.
Life is so difficult :lol:

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:05 pm

reason162 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:40 pm
LowRange wrote:
For me in a cover orientated target rich environment passing by docks with pillars and openings presenting themselves to me as I scan my head searching for targets its a big deal to be able to lock eyes with the next chosen target and make the dial change to send the bait withitn a few inches of where my eyeballs were looking on the next cast with a simple scroll of the dial be it to short skip, long skip or a short cast with a dial adjustment. An adjustment that occurred while palming the reel burning in the bait and immediately after locking eyes with the next target. My short target casting and skipping game has basically convergentnly evolved around this mag dial location which had been a Daiwa standard until the nureels changed the dial location. For a normal non target casting application the new dial location is a non issue but for cast to cast rapid adjustment on a cover orientated game it really sucks.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:10 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:05 pm
reason162 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:40 pm
LowRange wrote:
For me in a cover orientated target rich environment passing by docks with pillars and openings presenting themselves to me as I scan my head searching for targets its a big deal to be able to lock eyes with the next chosen target and make the dial change to send the bait withitn a few inches of where my eyeballs were looking on the next cast with a simple scroll of the dial be it to short skip, long skip or a short cast with a dial adjustment. An adjustment that occurred while palming the reel burning in the bait and immediately after locking eyes with the next target. My short target casting and skipping game has basically convergentnly evolved around this mag dial location which had been a Daiwa standard until the nureels changed the dial location. For a normal non target casting application the new dial location is a non issue but for cast to cast rapid adjustment on a cover orientated game it really sucks.
This!!! I love my SV103 for that.same reason. Perhaps not as much adjustment as you but I get it

It is what sold my buddy on Diawa. We were fishing strong KS winds with spinnerbaits. Targeting bushes and you had to be tight.

Problem was the bushes were all over a flat and some cast were into the wind and other with. He was backlashing like a SOB with a DC reel he thought would do the trick.

Gave him a spare rod and told him to bump the dial up 5 clicks or so into the wind and let it fly...he never backlashed with the SV103 and a new Daiwa man was born.

I thought I was the only one to use it for distance control. If I'm on the smart troller running a bank, I can bp the dial up to keep me from skipping or cast too far. I can keep the same stroke and dial in distance with a click or two.

Some days it's easier to adjust the reel than my casting. Some days you just have it and others it's been a few weeks and it takes a day to get it back. That's when the side dial is nice.

Alm that said, I can still flick the new dial with my pointer finger, it's is just harder and not as easy to do exact clicks.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:33 am

Yet another argument for the unique and highly adjustable/capable 3D mag system.

Search some old posts (granted many are long gone in the TT server crashes) - and you will find those that used the 3-D max break mode to help shorten casts when closer to shoreline and all-around mode for all-purpose casting in windy conditions...all while the CCC and mag settings were already set.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."