How do you set up your Alphas SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

How do you set up your Alphas SV TW

Post by reason162 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:07 pm

Bought the new Alphas awhile ago, finally spooled it up with 8lb sniper and went light cranking with shad baits today.

It seems rather choked off and reminds me of the previous generation Zillion SV TW. My comfort zone with both is about 6-8 on the dial depending on wind, very slight side to side spool tension. If I dial it up and try to cast harder, the trajectory is flattened and I lose distance. If I dial down to 4-5 things become squirrely quick.

The Alphas CT SV 70 is MUCH more to my liking in terms of casting ease and distance. That one I run at 10-12 on the dial and let it rip. That yields similar distance to babying the stroke at lower dial settings, and I prefer to whip it out there. Likewise the new Zillion SV TW - very predictable casting distance and trajectory, but I use that for heavier lures.

How is everyone liking their new Alphas? What weight lures are yall throwing on it?

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How do you set up your Alphas SV TW

Post by Loafer » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:08 am

reason162 wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:07 pm
How is everyone liking their new Alphas? What weight lures are yall throwing on it?
Hello, Friend!
I received my Alphas SV TW 800S in December 2022 and unfortunately, dont fishing with it yet. But i can say why i bought it. I want paired it with my Levante F3-66LV rod and use for 5-14 g lures.
On original shallow spool (weight 12.72 g) i reel up 12 Lb Tatsu (https://alii.pub/6krfgf) and i think it be well with minnow, crank and vib.

Also i bought DIY Roro spool (weight 8.8 g: https://alii.pub/6kreun). I reel up 15 Lb Zukibo PE line (https://alii.pub/6krfh0) and i think it be well with light jig-rig.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:11 am

Per hoohoorjoo and others, the issue could be that the bearings need to be cleaned and flushed. Grease in the spool bearings has been noted as a culprit on some of the casting/performance issues of the Alphas SV, not unlike the Met XT/Met MG7 back in the day from JDM Shimano that I personally experienced.

Good luck.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:38 am

You could always Ray's inductor swap it. That usually wakes up the SV spools.

dennis_rf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dennis_rf » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:15 am

The following is my experience throwing a range of 1/8oz ned heads + 3" trds up to 3/8oz ball heads + 3" Keitechs and hard baits from a Pointer 65 to a Pointer 78. So in general I throw quite aerodynamic but light stuff. With heavier lures, thing's might be different.

The 800 SV Spool always felt choked off at the end of the cast. Even with 8lb braid, flushing the bearings and changing to a rays inductor. The new inductor made me go from 4 to 8 on the dial, improved startup a tiny bit but didn't result in noticable distance. And still the startup speed isn't on par to the stock Met 70 spool.
The 800s spool however feels better, startup speed with light baits is a big improvement. Not quite sure if I get more distance.
The Rays shallow spool starts up fast as you'd expect but chokes off at the end just as the others do. Couldn't get any more distance from it.

I guess that's just what we get with those SV brakes. I'm happy with the 800s from the kayak but if I really need distance from shore, I go back to the '20 Met 70 or Aldebaran 30.

Recently bought the ridiculously light Roro spool, let's see if it turns the Alphas into a great stream reel. Couldn't test it yet, trout streams are protected during spawn.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:58 am

While I don't own this reel, I made my Millionaire CT better for distance by adding another shim to the inductor. This gives the inductor less travel so it doesn't extend as far into the magnet assembly thus taming the braking profile a little bit.

4g63power
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 4g63power » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:57 am

Alphas ct is much better for lighter applications, i find the sweet spot at least 3/8 oz for alphas sv tw on a M rod. SV 800 spool is small but weighs a bit more than G1 1016 SV spools. Switching to an aftermarket spool is probably the way to go if you're not satisfied with the stock setting. I have ktf neo in mine, while it works good I'm not sure if it's worth the price they ask for on yahoo auction at the moment.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:18 am

dennis_rf wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:15 am
The following is my experience throwing a range of 1/8oz ned heads + 3" trds up to 3/8oz ball heads + 3" Keitechs and hard baits from a Pointer 65 to a Pointer 78. So in general I throw quite aerodynamic but light stuff. With heavier lures, thing's might be different.

The 800 SV Spool always felt choked off at the end of the cast. Even with 8lb braid, flushing the bearings and changing to a rays inductor. The new inductor made me go from 4 to 8 on the dial, improved startup a tiny bit but didn't result in noticable distance. And still the startup speed isn't on par to the stock Met 70 spool.
The 800s spool however feels better, startup speed with light baits is a big improvement. Not quite sure if I get more distance.
The Rays shallow spool starts up fast as you'd expect but chokes off at the end just as the others do. Couldn't get any more distance from it.

I guess that's just what we get with those SV brakes. I'm happy with the 800s from the kayak but if I really need distance from shore, I go back to the '20 Met 70 or Aldebaran 30.

Recently bought the ridiculously light Roro spool, let's see if it turns the Alphas into a great stream reel. Couldn't test it yet, trout streams are protected during spawn.
Yep. Its just the way SV spools are. Their braking profile is better suited to high control applications like skipping, casting clunky baits into the wind and stiff lines like larger diameter flourocarbons. With compact baits and braid its hard to beat a good centrifugal brake for pure distance.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:14 am

I have the Alphas SVTW, a Millionaire CT, and the new Zillion. I really like the CT 30mm SV spool best. The Alphas does feel a little choked, I almost feel my older SV105(Alphas SV) could out cast it. If it weren't for the tiny size and great ergonomics of the Alphas, I'd prefer the Zillion over it (and clicking drag). Now if the new Alphas had a 30mm CT SV spool, it would be perfect, assuming the brake profile wasn't too strong.

For setup I run my Alphas on 6 or 7, zero adjuster or tension knob as is/loose, and just deal with the reduced distances.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:43 am

It's a shame Daiwa doesn't offer Mag Z option on the Tats and Alphas...they would have a lot of peeps buy as well since the braking profile would likely compete with MGL spools better.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:07 pm

I like the alpha reel, so I have several of them. I paired a few 8lb samurai hidden fluro on them and I can cast around 50 yards with a megabass ito shiner.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:10 pm

Jbc88 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:07 pm
I like the alpha reel, so I have several of them. I paired a few 8lb samurai hidden fluro on them and I can cast around 50 yards with a megabass ito shiner.
Forgot to mentioned that I tightened the tensioner a bit and my brakes is set on 5

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:45 am

dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:43 am
It's a shame Daiwa doesn't offer Mag Z option on the Tats and Alphas...they would have a lot of peeps buy as well since the braking profile would likely compete with MGL spools better.
I tried to send Daiwa a design for an SV-Z inductor. Allows rotation like a normal SV inductor ramp, but has a lockable spot that converts the reel to Magforce Z. Never got an answer, all I had was crude drawings. This was about a year or so ago.

I assume that is why people like magforce 3D? Just gives more options for heavier lures/distance casting?

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:54 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:45 am
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:43 am
I tried to send Daiwa a design for an SV-Z inductor. Allows rotation like a normal SV inductor ramp, but has a lockable spot that converts the reel to Magforce Z. Never got an answer, all I had was crude drawings. This was about a year or so ago.

I assume that is why people like magforce 3D? Just gives more options for heavier lures/distance casting?
This is EXACTLY why Mag 3D was so golden...to be able to mimick most effectively at least a couple if not three braking profiles...the added ~ 20 micro mag adjustments were just cake, and even though there is some intersection of mag brake performance within the the 3D profiles, no way can "max Brake" come anywhere close to "Long Cast" when the L.C. mode was set right to launch for distance, especially max distance with say a 3/4-1 oz lipless or topwater. As a matter of my personal experience and tests on the water, All-Around mode in lower than 5 settings are not really controllable, and still can't touch Long Cast in 7-9 mag settings for launching 3/4-1 oz lipless on my preferred 7'6"-7'11" heavy mod/fast moving bait rods.

Honestly, both of my Z2020H reels set in "All Around" with mag settings in the 7-9 range still feels like an SV + (or perhaps a Boost if I had one to compare) and in "Max Brake" I would have to drop down into the 5 or lower range to feel like an SV.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:40 pm

Thanks guys - I was hoping for a little more distance on 1/4oz baits like the ixi shad but I guess that's not in the cards on a stock Alphas SV TW. I did flush the bearings and lubed with TSI321, same thing I use on all my spool bearings and the Alphas CT does a lot better with that class baits.

I'll look into adding a shim in the inductor - never messed around with swapping springs modding spools at all but it does feel like the magnets are very strong in this reel. You can feel the winding resistance go up exponentially just turning up the dial from 0 to 5.