Need Help Deciding- Daiwa Tatula SV 70 OR Daiwa Tatula 80

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need Help Deciding- Daiwa Tatula SV 70 OR Daiwa Tatula 80

Post by Chode » Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:15 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:52 pm
Chode wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:35 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:03 am
Chode wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 1:04 pm
rto wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:05 pm

Try oiling the spool bearings first. Bantam oil will work. Should quiet it down.
nah that didn't work. made it slightly quieter but nothing like the '24 tw 100 which is an amazing reel

New update: After adding a tiny drop of oil on both ends of the spool shaft, the noise is completely gone. Just as quiet as the tw 100 now.
Good deal on oiling the spool shafts.
Initially, I found the sound of the TW 80 quite bothersome, as I had never encountered a NIB reel that was as loud. My first instinct was to assume it might be due to a dry or faulty bearing but when that didn't solve the problem, I contemplated selling it. Despite my initial skepticism about a dry spool shaft being the issue, I'm glad that solved the issue because with a Rays Studio BFS spool installed, it has proven to be an impressive performer.
The thing about oil on the spool shaft is too much will dramatically slow down the spool casting performance...this is very true with Shimanos, so I imagine it would be the same with the Tat 80.
Oh without a doubt. I was careful in how much i added and immediately followed it up with some baseline casting and the performance wasn't impacted so i def dodged a bullet.